Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just Another Guy
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm trying to just get the lid of my arm rest off, and haven't been able to figure it out or find out how to do it in the manual. If you guys could help me out it would be appreciated. Thx.

-Ed

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It depends on what you are trying to do, but if you are trying to change out the hinges and armrest you need to remove your whole console to get to the screws from underneath, while the console is out.

I replaced my armrest on my 1991 with a armrest with cupholder. I actually replaced the console and armrest, not just the lid, but you could use them to get to the screws. I used these directions. They print out nicer than they look on the screen. You have to follow the # order pictured and some steps are auto or manual specific.

I had the whole thing out, swapped and back in during a lunch hour.

Acura Legend Online Service Manual (Page: 0815)

·
Just Another Guy
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm getting the lid reupholstered - and need to take it off to give to the shop. Was thinking of removing all the screws on the bottom of the lid?

-Ed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Howdy... I'am not attempting to hijack Edify's thread, only inquiring because his topic is rarely discussed, and his question is very specific,... are the Armrest Lids interchangeable between the Sedans and the Coupes, and further, are they interchangeable between the Automatics and the Manuals???
Any enlightenment, or wisdom that could be shared on this would be sincerely appreciated.
Thankyou in advance for any consideration, and especially to Edify for his understanding of the need to ask the question(s).
Thanks, Nowyfe

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Well, I'm getting the lid reupholstered - and need to take it off to give to the shop. Was thinking of removing all the screws on the bottom of the lid?

-Ed
I miss understood your original question, but how's this for service. I just went down to my basement and and unscrewed the 6 black screws on the underside of my original armrest lid (1991 LS Sedan automatic). The underside plastic pulls off to expose the 4 screws that hold the lid to the hinges. Remove those 4 screws and you are all set to reupholstered.

...with that done... FS - a 1991 armrest lid (therefore no cupholder) ready to be reupholstered to any color you want :giggle:

Good luck.

·
Just Another Guy
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I miss understood your original question, but how's this for service. I just went down to my basement and and unscrewed the 6 black screws on the underside of my original armrest lid (1991 LS Sedan automatic). The underside plastic pulls off to expose the 4 screws that hold the lid to the hinges. Remove those 4 screws and you are all set to reupholstered.

...with that done... FS - a 1991 armrest lid (therefore no cupholder) ready to be reupholstered to any color you want :giggle:

Good luck.
:bowdown: :bowdown: :woot:

It's my impression that the Coupe and Sedan lids are the same. Not positive, but I think the Manual and Auto lids are identical also. Only thing is the '91s are cup-holderless.

-Ed

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
are the Armrest Lids interchangeable between the Sedans and the Coupes, and further, are they interchangeable between the Automatics and the Manuals???
Any enlightenment, or wisdom that could be shared on this would be sincerely appreciated.
Thankyou in advance for any consideration, and especially to Edify for his understanding of the need to ask the question(s).
Thanks, Nowyfe
I do not have all your answers, but here are some...

1. I know I've read that none of the manual tranny Legends came with cupholders (I do not know this from personal experience, just reading these threads)
  2. The magnets on non-cupholder lids and cupholder lids are on opposite ends of the lid (this I know - see below).

I had to swap out the whole armrest and console when I wanted to get a cupholder. The magnet that holds down the lid on my original 1991 lid (LS automatic) was towards the front of the car and the magnet on my cupholder lid is toward the back of the car. Therefore it did not line up withn my original armrest storage compartment's metal piece that the magnet "locks" to. When I took off the console I could have just swapped out the storage compartments and lids, between the consoles, but it was less steps to just make the whole console swap.

·
has left the building
7,217 Posts
If you replace a non-cupholder lid with one that does, you also have to replace the console box. The magnets are are opposite ends.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you replace a non-cupholder lid with one that does, you also have to replace the console box. The magnets are are opposite ends.
It still closes, so i mean its not life and death that the magnets dont work. I've had mine like that for about 1.5 years and no one has ever noticed a difference when they open/close my lid.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
When I did this swap, I also had to remove the bolted on metal bracket that attached the underside of my original 1991 console box to the area around the airbag system because the shape of the bottom of the original console box was slightly different than the "newer" cupholder console box I put in.

·
has left the building
7,217 Posts
It still closes, so i mean its not life and death that the magnets dont work. I've had mine like that for about 1.5 years and no one has ever noticed a difference when they open/close my lid.
"They" may not notice but I do. Fuck what everybody else thinks. Do it right or don't do it, IMO.

When I did this swap, I also had to remove the bolted on metal bracket that attached the underside of my original 1991 console box to the area around the airbag system because the shape of the bottom of the original console box was slightly different than the "newer" cupholder console box I put in.
Good point. One of the braces has a screw point in a different spot than the other. I had to do that as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts