Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to write an essay on "Should Home Networks be Wired or Wireless?"

Anybody have any useful links that explain the disadvantages and advantages of both Wired and Wireless Networks?

You can give your position on the question also if you'd like.

·
Registered
702 Posts
you can try this link for a source:

http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/jun01/interviews/orinoco/orinoco.htm

the main thing relevant to your topic it says:

What are the advantages of wireless networks versus wired?

A wireless network affords people tremendous freedom and mobility. People are used to wireless in the home; most homes have a cordless phone so the concept of wireless access is an appealing one. Further, they no longer have to punch holes through walls or furniture to link computers and peripherals. People can move their furniture wherever they want to because they don't have to consider chord lengths and the locations of power outlets and phone jacks.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Wireless networks are also open to hacking very easily, know as "Drive By Hackings". Check out www.linuxsecurity.com. Use the search engine thre, there are many articles related to the subject of wireless and security.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i agree with NickD, there's plenty of stuff out there on the internet about wired versus wireless networks and there are advantages and disadvantages to both....my suggestion just go to any good search engine and search for just that "wired versus wireless networks" or something similar.

Drive by Hackings! Interesting :)

G

·
I can drive up and down my neighborhood and easily find people houses where I can crack in and just borrow their internet. One night I was out with some of my friends and we needed times for a movie so I just said grab out my laptop. I drove really slow by some houses and bingo (this was a pretty rich neighborhood) I found a house in like 1 minute. It must have been a fast Cable or DSL connection. Anyways, on top of that wired is now running at 1gb/s which is amazing, and houses are coming prewired now with RJ45's in every room of the house.

I do see promise in the new 802.11a and maybe even 802.11g, but for the most part wireless just has a long ways to go in security even though the speed is starting to pick up with 802.11a ringing in at like 72mb/s.

I think that the two really need to coexist like in my house :D. I use the wirelss network all over and outside of my house for our laptops, and then all the desktop computers for the most part are wired.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
It depends on the user. Wireless offers increased mobility and ease of use. Security would be the main concern with Wireless. I don't think it has any place for example in Businesses, but in Homes, well it is less likely a hacker is driving by your house like Mr.SpeedDemon there to steal your ethernet connection.. LOL

Hey SpeedDemon, what did you do? Have a wireless NIC in the notebook? Did it automatically "link up"? I didn't think wireless had such a far range...

Anyways, the biggest problem, someone can pick up on the signal emitting from your house, then use a bunch of stolen CC#s to buy stuff, then driving off, leaving your I.P address as the one used to do the illegal stuff.. scarry

·
Registered
847 Posts
stick with wired until wireless can offer more security. Plus, wireless network can be easily interfered with a leaky microwave, lol~(it's a fact) Other than being very easy to "share" your connection, wireless access points can also be hacked easily. Plus, the current encryption is a joke.......

·
Registered
180 Posts
ehh? i have a network in my house of 4 computers, i used the cat5 cable....I think thats what its called. I think wire is better because its a direct connect and not many things and interupt the connection.

Where as wire less is alot cleaner, you dont have wires running around your house. But people can intercept your connectiong by radio's and ect, and use it.

G

·
Actually the distance that 802.11b (what is in most houses now) travels is pretty far. As long as its a high quality AP (access point), and the PC has a hq pcmia wifi card. I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 laptop that has a builtin wireless nic and yes it automatically will tell you if there is a wireless network in range. Then you can look at the signal strength and get within a distance where it is usable (usually about 200m). Even an intermitent signal is good enough for browsing the internet. My wireless Ap broadcasts way out into our street and even up to the cul-de-sac.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wireless does have a decent range. UC Davis has wireless eth around campus. They loan out the cards and you just have to get close enough to the library or the silo (place with food/bus/etc).

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Re: virus attack??

Leon Millette said:
speaking of which,is anyone getting any weird emails from this forum??
Yeah,

I keep gettin the one about you new Hybid, or something to that affect. No biggie though:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.