Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all congrats on you getting your baby back. It looks nice.

I have some questions for ya.
When you got your clutch installed did you get a new flywheel or did you have it turned?
I remember you saying a while back that it slips once in awhile after going through heavy traffic. Does it still do that? Some people say that it's mendatory to get new flywheel along with clutch job. What do you have to say about that?
Mine slips pretty badly and it chatters alot. I'd appreciate your response.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I might not be the Godfather and all, but...

I believe that wherever you heard that it was mandatory to service the flywheel might actually be correct. I just did the clutch in my 6spd unknowing of the flywheel situation and ended up having my mechanic tell me that it was burnt to sh*t with hot spots all over the place. Well, I didnt have another $950 to throw down on a new one at the time, so as it stands, I'm gonna have to cough that up eventually and have to pay for labor all over again :eek: :mad: :eek: .

As far as slipping, mine was really bad before the service and non-existant afterward. Chatters: yep, still does it. I really wish I had that done because it would probably be sooo much smoother.
hmm.... .....smooth.....:)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear that man. But what was acura thinking when they decided to make the flywheel a dual piece? Is there a good reason why they decided to do that? I'm kinda upset that I have to wait even longer to get the clutch done. If I knew this b4 I got my car I think I woulda considered buying an automatic or a newer and different car. If I'm gonna do it right it's gonna cost me around $2000 which is ridiculous. Anyways I guess I'm outta luck unless if I could afford a new car soon enough.:(

·
Registered
744 Posts
legendtype2, 6 speeds have the dual mass flywheel (5 speeds have a single mass).

The dual mass flywheel does absorb much of the shock that exists when power is transfered to the transmission VS a sprung friction disk (aka clutch disk).

The 6 speed has a unsprung clutch disk - just in case ya'll don't know.

I have heard so much bullshe~ite about turning the dual mass flywheel and I have found that all told... Clutchmasters, Acura, Centerforce, all recommend AGAINST attempting to turn the dual mass flywheel.

Bottom line people.... The material on the friction disk is only so deep - alot less that you'd think. And turning a flywheel down would only provide further distance the pressure plate fingers have to travel to adequately apply that stock 1700lbs of pressure to mate the friction disk with the flywheel.

Also... I purchased a friction disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing from "E"clutchmasters.com and did the swap myself and the fingers on the pressure plate where clanking when the fork pulled back on the throwout bearing - it was garbage and the company is crap (for the 6 speed). I called them when the hub on the friction disc wasn't an EXACT match as the OE and they said that it was fine and didn't need match exactly! Bullshe~ite! I was pissed and will not EVER deal with Eclutchmasters.com... I'm out $475.00! (but this all happened a while back).

KNLNGUS

Ordered the kit from Clutchmasters and walla the HUBs matched up and everything was great!

It is not automatic that you must "service the dual mass flywheel" when performing a clutch job. I would definitely inspect the operation of the pilot bearing and visuall look for hot spots. Hot spots can appear on the pressure plate and NOT on the flywheel so - have your mechanic look very closely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.