Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Creeper
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after i get my car back from getting the air ride, im getting new subs and speakers, i have 2 alpine 10" type r's picked out, i need help with what speakers, 2 channel and 4 channel amps to pick, i dont know about much between brands what do you guys recommend for me?

· Renaissance.
3,096 Posts
Go old school. Soundstream, Reference or Rubicon series. They float around on eBay, and you can find some awesome prices. Anyone that knows anything about amplifiers knows that back in the day, Soundstream was the heat. They aren't as good nowadays. The Reference and Rubicon series take up minimal space, and they were so under-rated and overbuilt, it is riduculous. Not very many amps can play 1 ohm stable all day, every day, and do so cleanly.

· Creeper
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bl420 said:
i would get a dedicated sub amp instead

having a wide range of frequency go through an amp puts a bigger load on it to reproduce

and if you want to listen to the previous poster be my guest... just get amps that blows speakers...

if you want an amp that is made of a plastic casing PPI is the way to go
i meant im getting a sub amp and speaker amp. thanks for the help guys, do you think the type r's are a good choice?

· Registered
186 Posts
Pshh... DONT listen to Alegre323, A 2,500 Watt! Are you stupid, dumb or both? A 2,500 Watt amp would run a legends battery dry in a minute.. Lets not mention that you would probably BLOW the Alpine type-r's because the normal input watt's is like 500 Watts, although they do MAX out @ 1500 Watts, its not good to max them out 24/7.... A 2,500 Watt amp is probably like $800, and you would need to have a battery in back, or A LOT of those stupid capacitators.. Go with Rocker fosgate, MTX audio, Audiobahn, Alpine, Clarion.. Alpine Type-R's are really nice speakers, you made a great choice, im replacing my 15's with Alpine Type-R's in the next few months.. You will be satisfied with the speakers.. When your done tell me how everything worked out, and if you like the woofers..

· Creeper
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my battery = yellow top. not sayin it would not be affected by that big of an amp.

but i dont wanna be petey pablo, i want something loud, yet sounds good as well. a good mix is what im looking for and i think legendluxury knows what hes talkin about.

plus his coupe is a cool color :)

· Registered
39 Posts
Right now Im running one Rockford P3 12" sub in a spec'd box. I powered it with a 900 watt rockford mono at 2ohms and it pounds hella nice and its clean bass. The Type r subs are really nice clear subs as well but i went with the p3 cause it has a higher rms even tho its peak is lower. Anywho Rockford amps are nice. JL and Kicker are good too, both being pricey tho...my only is what kind of music do you listen to mainly cause 10s are better for faster bass response for Rock type music. you can play rap with 10s but im just saying the low end bass isnt the same from what ive experienced. 12s on up are better for lower end bass like rap or heavy rock etc...

As for main speakers there are a couple brands i like but 2 stick out over others. I really like alpine type r and Infinity kappa series speakers. of those 2 Im partial to Infinity kappas for 3 reasons. 1:The RMS rating is a lot higher at 75watts in comparison to 50. 2: The db rating for the kappas is 95 in comparison to 89; this means you dont have crank em as high to make em loud. 3:the frequency rating for the kappa is right in the range of the human listening range. type r's might have a higher max overall rating but you wont even notice that when listening so whats the point? Ive heard both sets of speakers and from my perspective the infinities sound alot cleaner. im an audio nut so i like my sound perfect when im on the road.

I know this is a lot but i felt it might help you out if i passed on what ive learned from experience through trial and error hehehe. This is just me opinion mind you so im sure other people will have something to say about what i think is good or if my numbers are off etc... anywho if you need anymore info just give me a holler and ill help where i can.

just me 2 bits...

bryan

· Registered
39 Posts
also, from what ive read id listen to LegendaryLuxury and not that Alegre323 guy. thats crazy to think thats gonna work with that 2500watt amp. i bet the numbers are juiced on the amp and are you gonna do with that amount of wattage anywho besides blow up?

· Dont Catch
4,530 Posts
Jetstorm19 said:
The db rating for the kappas is 95 in comparison to 89; this means you dont have crank em as high to make em loud. 3:the frequency rating for the kappa is right in the range of the human listening range. type r's might have a higher max overall rating but you wont even notice that when listening so whats the point?
dB ratings don't really matter for subs... only in higher frequencies... plus theres no standard for sensitivity measurement.

and the frequency range all depends on your HU

normal hearing range is from 20Hz-20KHz

you'll notice that if you check up on the specs on your HU... usually the only one that will be able to play the whole frequency range is CDs

with that being said...

drtom... the alpine type-r is good. i wouldn't go further than the type-rs to the type-x because they are insanely priced for what they deliver

well with the type r...with its closeness in price id rather take the 12" it doesnt need that big of a box size so...

just remember more power doesnt necessarily mean more dBs

· Registered
39 Posts
I dont know if you noticed, but I seperated the sections talking about subs and MAIN speakers. I know the db rating isnt a big deal in the higher frequencies for subs cause you want the lower numbers....... anywho ya i didnt even go into the specifics for the HU. i could have but i already wrote super long post anyway... but ya the type-x is way too high priced especially if you arent even going for competition bass lol...

last thing. if you check the differenced between the HU and the mains themselves, a speaker with a higher overall db rating is nicer because you dont have to turn them up at much to get the same sound out of them.

· Dont Catch
4,530 Posts
Jetstorm19 said:
I dont know if you noticed, but I seperated the sections talking about subs and MAIN speakers. I know the db rating isnt a big deal in the higher frequencies for subs cause you want the lower numbers....... anywho ya i didnt even go into the specifics for the HU. i could have but i already wrote super long post anyway... but ya the type-x is way too high priced especially if you arent even going for competition bass lol...

last thing. if you check the differenced between the HU and the mains themselves, a speaker with a higher overall db rating is nicer because you dont have to turn them up at much to get the same sound out of them.
i wasnt disagreeing with you... i was just furthering your statement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.