Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 95 coupe with bose premium system.

i have head unit, 2 speakers with tweeters with them in front and 2 in the rear with seperate holes for the tweeters in the back. and of course a 200 W bose amp.

Now what i want to have is a good clear sound and not spend a hell lot( 200 for one set of speakers!!)

I really want to keep my stock head unit and stock cd changer.
These are options/ideas so far can i get some input.

1. Change all 4 speakers with 4 aftermarket 3 way speakers( sony xplod) and run them off the factory amp?....good or bad?...recommend?

2. Change all 4 speakers with 4 aftermarket 3 way speakers( sony xplod) and run them off the sony xplod after market amp.
good or bad?

now i m nt looking at the sub now, do you think 4 aftermarket speakers will give clearer bass than stock?...especially of a better amp?

Pleaseeeeeeeeeee gimme some ideas i have no darn clue about any of this.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
First of all, you have the Bose premium. so the amp and speakers are at 2 ohms. The sonys you want to put in are at 4 ohms, so you will have to turn the volume up 1/4 to 1/2 a turn further to get the same amount of power. You will not be able to peak as high (25W instead of 50) and this will be a harder strain on your amp. I am not sure how to run an aftermarket amp off of a stock head unit, but it can probably be done, especially if you put it in about the same place and just use the same wiring, if you can figure out what goes where. Somebody else needs to post on that.
Personally I would recomend an Alpine head unit, because it will interface with your factory changer, and then you will have about the same amount of power without changing your amp, but if you do put in a head unit, the aftermarket amp will be easier to run and you can just use the wiring coming out of the stock amp.
And BTW the aftermarket speakers will run more bass, especially off of the aftermarket amp, this is usually adjustable on the amp.
If you get an aftermarket head unit this will also make the bass more adjustable IE turned all the way up:D :D :D

But i would recomend 1 Infinity Perfect sub off of about 500 Watts like me:D :D :D

Sorry for the long Post
Peace
Tnelson

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
95coupe said:
i have a 95 coupe with bose premium system.

i have head unit, 2 speakers with tweeters with them in front and 2 in the rear with seperate holes for the tweeters in the back. and of course a 200 W bose amp.

Now what i want to have is a good clear sound and not spend a hell lot( 200 for one set of speakers!!)

I really want to keep my stock head unit and stock cd changer.
These are options/ideas so far can i get some input.

1. Change all 4 speakers with 4 aftermarket 3 way speakers( sony xplod) and run them off the factory amp?....good or bad?...recommend?

2. Change all 4 speakers with 4 aftermarket 3 way speakers( sony xplod) and run them off the sony xplod after market amp.
good or bad?

now i m nt looking at the sub now, do you think 4 aftermarket speakers will give clearer bass than stock?...especially of a better amp?

Pleaseeeeeeeeeee gimme some ideas i have no darn clue about any of this.
Keep the stock headunit, and dump the BOSE amp and speakers for aftermarket.

With this set up, you retain the OEM look of the headunit, the steering wheel controls, and the OEM CD changer.

One way that I was able to interface my PPI amp with my OEM headunit was to buy the aftermarket headunit adaptor. It is the adaprtor harness that you would buy to hook up an aftermarker headunit to the factory wiring. It will be a 16 pin connector. Because you have the BOSE amp, you have a connector that plugs into the BOSE amp that is the exact same connector as the one that plugs into the headunit. The wiring is different though. What you do is find the matching signal output wires of the connector that leads into the amp. You find the LF, RL, RR, LR, then determine which of these pairs you want to use. Then, you find the matching wires on the aftarmarket connector harness, and add some RCA type conectors to the speaker wire ends. You can do a few things here. You can add female ends, or male ends. If you add female ands, then you can use any old signal interconnect to hook up to the aftermarket amp. If you use male ands, you can either solder them directly to the aftermarket wires ends if you don't need a long run, or, if you need a longer run, cut one end off of an RCA type interconnect and wire the bare up the bare side. What you essentially have done is added line level RCA type connection to the BOSE headunit without cutting or splicing the OEM wiring. From there, the aftermarket amp will simply think the headunit is like any other headunit.

I have personally done this modification myself with no problems in my system. Other people have done it with varying success. I feel if I can do it, anyone can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts