Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I read about this technique to launch an auto equipped car on another message:

Brake-Torque Technique - Rev engine to about 2000 RPM or higher while holding the brake pedal then release.

I don't remember where I read it but it's kinda like dropping the clutch in a manual but for an auto. Yes, I know it is possible to just place the tranny in neutral and then slam it into Drive but that might damage my tranny.

Anyway, my question is does this work? I have yet to try it so I don't know what to expect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i wouldnt recommend trying it ..
i tried it with a bad tranny(i know, i know .. i shouldnt have) .. and guess what? .. no more 1st gear! .. i regret doing it ..

·
Registered
427 Posts
LOL i would never do that to my car it seems dangerous. tell me how it is if you did try it but i warn you please DON'T you might hurt or kill your car do that in a rental or stolen(hehe)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Auto launch = tranny in "D" and gently press acelerator. Easy on tranny, gas mileage and speeding tickets and get to your destination just as soon. IMO, drive the car like it was intended to be driven.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok

Thanks Rick. I was just wondering about the launch thing. It's not like I want to do it all the time. It sounded like it could damage my tranny.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It can be done, It does help, It does kill your tranny.
I used this lil move in my old '90 Accord 125 HP to beat BMW's off the line. However, unless you have a slip transmission - like Camero's, then basically, the harder you push it with the brakes on, the more you directly hurt your transmission.
Better idea, use your left foot on the brake and have your right foot just above the gas pedal. Still will be able to shave about a quarter of a second off of take off - no hurting the tranny.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
RedSun106 said:
Hey,

I read about this technique to launch an auto equipped car on another message:

Brake-Torque Technique - Rev engine to about 2000 RPM or higher while holding the brake pedal then release.

I don't remember where I read it but it's kinda like dropping the clutch in a manual but for an auto. Yes, I know it is possible to just place the tranny in neutral and then slam it into Drive but that might damage my tranny.

Anyway, my question is does this work? I have yet to try it so I don't know what to expect.
The brake-torque technique you describe was called a "Brake Stand" in the old days. The idea is to get the engine in it's power band right before launching. Good drag strip technique. Doesn't shock the drive train.

The unfortunate thing about it is that it heats up your transmission fluid because the torque converter is trying to drive the car against the brakes. It's this heat that ultimately kills the transmission.

"Neutral-Drops" (slamming an auto from neutral into drive above idle speed) will damage more than just the transmission. The differential gears won't last very long with all that shock transmitted through the drive train. Considered "Bad Form".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts