Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys... i have an auto for my legend and i was wondering how much it costs to make it into a manual...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
This has been gone over about 50 times before. do a search for it and you find all you want.

HUGE cost and your VINs will no longer match, Insurance might drop you.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
92whitelegend said:
HUGE cost and your VINs will no longer match, Insurance might drop you.
What are you talking about? Why would your insurance drop you for doing a tranny swap?! It's like doing an engine swap, they don't care.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
DTMM4Legend said:
hi guys... i have an auto for my legend and i was wondering how much it costs to make it into a manual...
How about you hold on tight and I will demonstrate it for you a little after NOPI in September?

Depends on what you want to do, but it is going to be a touch costly, especially if you are relying solely on a shop in your neighborhood, and not yourself. If you plan on selling this car at ANYTIME in your life, you may want to do it now, an pickup a 6/5 speed. But, like me, I have invested thousands in to my car, and I am not ridding of it, so no worries. IF you plan on selling it, the VIN will tell a smart consumer (CARFAX) that the car does not have its original tranny and/or motor if you go for the 5/6 speed. Keep this in mind.

If you are still interested, speak your mind, and I will talk *some* dollars with you ;)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Performing a conversion will result in a vehicle whose VIN does not match. If ever said vehicle were in an accident requiring a damage report, the appraiser would identify the conversion. Having done so, the insurance company could inform you that the accident was due to having the structural integrity/design of the vehicle altered and could then inform you that YOU will be solely responsible for any and all damages. Your bank, being notified of this can immediately call in your loan as the vehicle's value has been significantly compromised; the bank could justly state that the "converted" vehicle is now only worth its parts value. Selling to another party would not absolve you of any future liability--if you could find a buyer willing to take a chance on the vehicle. So you see it would be much, much better to just find a worn out 6spd and refurbish it. Heck, it would be better to locate two wrecks and section them (and this is not recommended either). If you don't believe me call your bank and insurance company and then report back here.

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
You would be MUCH better off selling your auto and buying one with a 5/6-speed. They're actually getting easier to find.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
LPB said:
Performing a conversion will result in a vehicle whose VIN does not match. If ever said vehicle were in an accident requiring a damage report, the appraiser would identify the conversion. Having done so, the insurance company could inform you that the accident was due to having the structural integrity/design of the vehicle altered and could then inform you that YOU will be solely responsible for any and all damages. Your bank, being notified of this can immediately call in your loan as the vehicle's value has been significantly compromised; the bank could justly state that the "converted" vehicle is now only worth its parts value. Selling to another party would not absolve you of any future liability--if you could find a buyer willing to take a chance on the vehicle. So you see it would be much, much better to just find a worn out 6spd and refurbish it. Heck, it would be better to locate two wrecks and section them (and this is not recommended either). If you don't believe me call your bank and insurance company and then report back here.
Yeah, I agree. Tranny swaps are just not practical and should not be done. Then again, do we really think a 16 year old would have the money or have their parent's permission to do such a thing :rolleyes:

Find a 5/6spd, not that hard

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
WhiteLegend said:

Yeah, I agree. Tranny swaps are just not practical and should not be done. Then again, do we really think a 16 year old would have the money or have their parent's permission to do such a thing :rolleyes:

Find a 5/6spd, not that hard
some people just love their cars and want to keep them, OR like alot of people just dont have the bank to by a 12-17,000 dollar car. especially a 7year old 17000 dollar car with a gratuitous amount of miles.

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
Bang&Olufsen DK said:
some people just love their cars and want to keep them, OR like alot of people just dont have the bank to by a 12-17,000 dollar car. especially a 7year old 17000 dollar car with a gratuitous amount of miles.
Figuring the cost of conversion added to the value of the car, I'd say that there's a 5/6 speed out there with his name on it.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
One of the first "Life Lessons" should be: "Never fall in Love with your car." You set yourself up for untold anguish and heartbreak when the period of "lust" is over. Never spend thousands of dollars for customizing without realizing that you will never recoup the funds expended.

Less costly to locate a Legend 6-spd and refurbish as needed. The Legend 6-spd was not a limited production run and it is not an exotic vehicle. It can be located if you have the time and the patience. Meanwhile, detail your present vehicle, sell it, buy something inexpensive and ugly to drive (this will motivate you to locate a Legend 6-spd) and then develop a seige mentality as you search for a suitable Legend 6-spd. This process worked for me when I was seeking a used Corvette having the color/options as if I had bought it new. Took almost a year but I found one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i say mfollow your heart but hinestly wat is the real reson you want a 6speed? to go faster? if so look in to level 10 transmissions they build really great autos that will be just as fast as a 6spd and as they say.. unbreakable but.. do wat you want the best advice i can give to anynoe is follow your heart i live my legend just as amuch as everyone on this forum does and mine is a auto.. but a level 10 tourque converter nad rebuild kit you will jnever have a problem with it and it will shift like a 6spd.....jon............n hey everyone check my car club website n sign the guest book please..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts