Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I am driving in dense traffic around rush hour and I am only giving the car a little bit of gas, probably going about 15 - 30 mph, the transmission doesnt seem to know what gear to go into, and sometimes it will even give a little clunk sound and downshift. I am also getting somewhat of a shudder through the gas pedal when it does this, could the second thing be my tranny mounts? But about the first one, whats up with that, its not a huge problem seeing as I only run into that kind of traffic on the freeway but it still is annoying. It also happens when accelerating from a stop sign, it almost studders then shifts. Does anynone have any idea about this? Thanks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, would that help out a lot? If not a lot, what could be my other problems?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks, I will get that done pronto and let you know how it turnes out:)

·
Registered
658 Posts
What you have described is exactly what my transmission does. I don't feel a shudder in the pedal, though. I flushed my tranny and torque converter, but it still does it. All I've been told is that I need a rebuild. I will try cleaning the solenoids next, if I can ever find them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
well.. the first gens tend to shift hard.. ive got 86k on my tranny .. and its a lil rough.. and i had the tranny fluid done a month or so ago.. i dont find that it trembles much.. i find that after ive been in one gear for awhile.. like after 3 hours on the interstate.. that my car's gears will act up some.. thats could be what you're seeing.. that being in one gear for a while can make it shift a lil rough.. i dunno.. just my 2 centss

·
Registered
126 Posts
another possibility

It could also be the shift cable needs adjusting.
this cable splits off the accelerator cable and runs down to the tranny below the air filter. This adjusts when it changes as well.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Donny- that sounds just like my tranny. After driving on the freeway for a while, I get off and into the lower gears and it just gets confused. When it's cold and first starting out, it shifts close to normal.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Minw seems to be the complete opposite than that, it always shifts weird in the morning. I should also repjrase my post topic, It shifts weird, not rough. sometimes it stays in the same gear a little longer than it should and sometimes when it downshifts I hear a clunk sound. It studdrs sometimes like it cant choose whic gear to be in, I HATE IT! Why does this happen so much with these cars?

·
Registered
447 Posts
i think that its just the temperature of the tranny.. i dunno if thats it in your case though. It's not a bad thing.. but can't be a good one. like ive read.. the 1G shift really hard.... about it staying in gear too long, i know what your saying.. like.. you floor it... and it goes.. then hits a certain MPH and wont shift.. and you can hear it making a high sound too.. i hope i don't have a bad tranny.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, nime just does it sometimes at about 30 to 40 MPH. I give it a lot of gas and it revs a little to high then shifts after that.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
G1s aren't suppose to shift hard, you can hardly feel the shifts on mine, it's really smooth, even more smooth than my G2.

All I did was put some HondaATF in it. Your tranny could be going bad, or have a bad mount.

Why does it happen? Not using HondaATF all the time in my opinion, will kill the tranny. Also, these cars are really old now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
auto tranny issue what do you think

My automatic has been well cared for 164K, It seems to be having problems lately though. It has shifted late when cold over night. Rpm's at 4 one mourning when shifting instead of at 3, thought my wife was making it up. It felt a little off. Then I am pulling on the freeway and it took a little to long to kick down to overdrive. Also when driving 50 it does not know which gear to go into, it constantly is changing from overdive to 4th. My fluid is clean, a third honda atf, the rest dexron with additive. There is a tranny shop who would hook it up to a computer for 50 bucks and tell me what is wrong. Or I should I be saving up for low milage import used one. I can get one for 625 and have a local mechanic install it for 300. Is there a chance the sychros just need cleaned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
"Also when driving 50 it does not know which gear to go into, it constantly is changing from overdive to 4th. "

Mine does that as well, but I thought it was changing between third and fourth. Do our cars have 4 gears and then go into overdrive or does fourth act as an overdrive? My 90 coupe only has 80K on it so I hope nothing is wrong. It has had Honda ATF in it for a while now. When it is cold sometimes, as it is shifting from 1st to 2nd, if I let off the gas right as it is about to shift I will hear a "clunk". That is the only time though. Does that happen to anyone else?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.