Acura Legend Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
yea, our 4th gear is overdrive. if you look at our gear ratios, 4th gear is OD (on 5 speed, 5th is od). Take it like this with the flow of gear ratios. These numbers are gonna be used to make an exaple.
1st gear: 3:1
2nd gear: 2:1
3rd gear: 1:1
4th gear: .75:1

Overdrive is basically allowing the engine to go through another set of revs at lower then 1 to 1 ratio.

·
Registered
40 Posts
gears not shifting

iv been reading everybodys posts and mine sort of does the same thing it used to hesitate and i gave my car a tune up

plugs wires air filter fuel filter cap and rotor not the tranny fluid yet

but besides the fact

my gears wont even shift anymore even if i put the pedal all the way down and also all of you that have the 1g know what the gear indicators look like

p
r
n
d
s3 s4

well it will also say that im in s3 and in d at the same time why why why

it really pisses me off

thanks

jorge

·
Registered
86 Posts
AMSOIL ATF

Dont waste your time and money with the Honda ATF, use the AMSOIL SYNTHETIC ATF, it works miracles. I put it in my Integra and Subaru and I was simply amazed to say the least.

1989 Legend coupe 5-speed 52k miles
1990 Integra automatic 225k miles
1993 Subaru Legacy automatic 203k miles:D

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Why does everyone say only honda atf then? Im wondering if thats just something acura made up to sell more tranny fluid, which is not cheap at all...

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I thought that the Honda OEM stuff was to get you to buy expensive ATF so I never bought the stuff since my manual said Dexron II.

I bought the 89 Legend 3 years old and changed ATF every year and the last five years, I used semi sysnthetic to synthetic thinking I was using the best. My tranny whined and shifted very "positive" with a distinct shift. In the last year, I found out about Honda ATFZ1 and tried it.

After two changes in six months, I have to say the stuff absolutely works well. With the second refill, the tranny is now really quiet ( no more whine) and shifts are smoother. The third change will get rid of the leftover synthetic dexron and I should have the tranny where it should be.

Let's put it this way, the tranny shifts better now than it was when it was 3 years old because of the Honda ATFZ1.

·
Registered
174 Posts
GREYLEGEND said:
After two changes in six months, I have to say the stuff absolutely works well. With the second refill, the tranny is now really quiet ( no more whine) and shifts are smoother. The third change will get rid of the leftover synthetic dexron and I should have the tranny where it should be.

Let's put it this way, the tranny shifts better now than it was when it was 3 years old because of the Honda ATFZ1.
Agreed. I flushed the Legend and Civic in the same weekend and noticed a difference in both cars immediately. Second round of flushing is coming up in 2 weeks or so and I expect both to be smoother still.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.