Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MAN-WHORE
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHy is it RIms and lowrider suspension Mod has been popular for years and years same with BoomBoom speaker systems, But why do the mods like windshield wiper leds, chrome gas cover, chrome fender guards, and neon license plate get REALLY popular REALY fast then all of a sudden die and turn to rice? I think it has too do with the cost $$$ of the MOD alot of dough = cool :2cool: any mod under $20 = :****:

Your thoughts opinions???

·
Creeper
1,472 Posts
well the more expensive ones are aLways more prestigious and the other ones have always been looked down on by hardcore car enthusiasts because its somewhat degrading to lose attention to people who dont know what theyre talking about

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
Well, IMO, we have to look at who is doing what mod. Washer nozzles, chrome gas covers and the like are primarily adopted by teens. Teens are known to have short attention spans and eventually (rightfully so) grow out of these mods that have no practical (or aesthetic) purpose other than drawing attention to the car. There's also always the need to be different and to find something new. So as one group of teens grows out of a fad, a new group comes in thinking, "well, those washer nozzle LEDs are cool and all, but it's been done. So, what's next?"

As far as "BoomBoom" speaker systems go, I think that too is age and economically related. The want for some "Boom" will bring younger modders to put cheaper systems in with the idea that louder is better (regardless of actual sound quality). As the generation ages and has more disposable income, the sound systems become more sophisticated with a balance of "Boom" and quality. As they age further, the focus will likely lean more on the quality rather than quantity of sound.

Because the ultimate goal is to have "tunes" regardless of age, sound system upgrades will always be a desireable modification. All mass production passenger cars and trucks are equipped with a sound system of sorts, so it's almost become a basic need when it comes to driving. The same way some people go all out at home with home theater systems instead of being satisfied with the speakers that come with the TV, audio enthusiasts will likely continue to not be satisfied with what the car manufacturers provide them in terms of sound.

·
know 'm ool
1,399 Posts
when something is new, it is a luxury, then once everyone has it, it is stupid
everyone wants their car to be unique, so once something is popular, it is not unique

like "altezza" lights, i never really like them, but my friend was one of the first ones to get them for an integ, and he thought they were sooo cool

but then again, i think the whole "rice" scene is going down. i know so many "ricer" body shops that had to turn back into normal ones, and it is hard to find big organized street racing, when there were tons of them a few years ago

some thing will never go outta style though, any performance part won't go outta style, ie. suspension, engine parts, forced induction, etc. and as long as people like music, they'll want a nice sound system, rite?

·
Creeper
1,472 Posts
and what makes it kinda sad....i read in a mobile electronics magazine, car companies are making it harder and harder to take out the factory systems....why do they discourage this? although they are giving the consumer better systems, but like in the new RL it would be really difficult to put in aftermarket sound options for a deck and such, youd have to be a pretty good fabricator.

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
You know the expression "form over function"? well in reality, its the mods that primarily provide function first and affect form second that really last. Bigger rims and stiffer suspensions improve handling; HID headlights improve visibility; tint improves comfort; stereos improve SQ and SPL (sound quality and sound pressure levels); ECUs, Intakes, Exhausts all improve power.

If mods do nothing more than improve the "bling" or "rice" factor, then they are unlikely to stay popular for long - especially the cheap ones.

·
I'van der Rohe
12,803 Posts
Octane said:
You know the expression "form over function"? well in reality, its the mods that primarily provide function first and affect form second that really last. Bigger rims and stiffer suspensions improve handling; HID headlights improve visibility; tint improves comfort; stereos improve SQ and SPL (sound quality and sound pressure levels); ECUs, Intakes, Exhausts all improve power.

If mods do nothing more than improve the "bling" or "rice" factor, then they are unlikely to stay popular for long - especially the cheap ones.
so well said it needs to be a wiki:bowdown:

·
Old S*hool Member
2,218 Posts
Oops!
I sometimes do a search for something and then see an interesting thread and get totally side-tracked. I didn't even realize how old this thread was!

I'm such a noob! lol ;)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.