Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I frequent the mountains often to board and take my car.

Is there anything anyone can suggest to keep the salt from corroding my undercarriage?

I rinse it off when I get home everytime but I'm assuming it will take it's toll.

Someone suggested this gooey stuff that looks like funfoam but I was looking for something more like a light spray.

BTW, when I go up, it's usually a day trip..

Thanks a million

grgirl:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you only go up for a day or two I would have to ask how often do you go up. If it's like 1-4 times I would say save your money for something else, but if you go more than 5 times I would suggest a "rust proofing" or an "oil bath". I know here in Ontario, Canada it does not snow that much, but when it does they always apply way too much salt to the roads and my friends always tell me to rust proof your car.

I always say what the heck for I don't see no rust, then a couple of days ago I took off the rubber around the fenders to grind them down (no more rubbing with my 18's and 3 inch drop) I say that under the rubber (or the fender lip) was just starting to bubble:eek: I am going to fix it and get the rust proofing done before next winter and it only cost about $90.00Canadian (or $3.00US exchange rate joke) so it should not be more than like $50.00 for you guys and it really does help according to all the research I have done and techs that I have spoke to.

Good Luck,
Mark

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Mark,

I live near the snow half of the year...and I go boarding every weekend when it's on...

Would you happen to know the name of the product you are talking about? Is it easy to apply myself?

Thanks so much for your quick response

g2girl:p

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think it is better that you go to a bodyshop that you know or trust, and ask the person about undercoating your car with rustproof material. I did that on mine when I got my car repainted. And now is rustproof.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, I am sure they sell things like this out of the can, but I would go to a shop where they basically apply this to your entire car. Into the door jams, all the little cracks and under the car as well. (this cost alittle more($175CAD or so) and you have to leave your car for about 7 hours for it to somewhat dry, but REALLY worth the money in the long run if you plan on keeping your car)

I know here places like Zebert or AUTOBAHN do it over here, so I guess the best place to check is a car detailer (or even ask someone at your local Acura dealer to suggest a place), but I will get the name of the actually product they use for you and post it later next week as I am finally taking my car in for a FULL DETAILING (it's first on since I bought it in almost 6 years):D. I usually do it myself, but these guys also take out little digs and stone chips.

·
Registered
54 Posts
gG2girl

The folks answering you got WAY more snow than you do.
I'll be really surprised if you can get any love in LA for rustproofing at a detail shop. Just a warning. I was raised back east and there are places everywhere back there. You might have to buy some DIY stuff and spray it on. Just a little info.

Mike

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
mrlegend said:
gG2girl

The folks answering you got WAY more snow than you do.
I'll be really surprised if you can get any love in LA for rustproofing at a detail shop. Just a warning. I was raised back east and there are places everywhere back there. You might have to buy some DIY stuff and spray it on. Just a little info.

Mike
Dear Mike,

I live in Sacramento half the year and head out to Tahoe every weekend...there is a lot of snow out here in the winter...as far as summers, they are spent in LA...

Thanks a bunch

g2girl

·
Registered
671 Posts
g2girl - i wouldn't worry about it too much...just make sure you rinse it off after a trip up there. i grew up in nevada right near tahoe (specifically gardnerville), and my family has never worried about rustproofing the undercarriage of our cars. a lot of car washes around offer an 'underbody spray' for ~$2.00, so i would just go to a car wash and get that done after a trip up there. cheers,

wally

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wallstrum has a point.

Not trying to discourage you, just sharing another point of view. I do know the trip up 50 or 80 well. One + hours, 2 lanes and possible snow from Pollak Pines and Echo Canyon etc. I can feel that you are trying to protect your baby and that's a good thing.

I just laugh cause going up there every weekend then coming back to Sac. is hella different than having a gang of snow from Oct. till April and all of the roads salted. BTY don't they use mostly sand up there and just a little salt if any?

2 more things, A. The undercoating stuff they used to use is kinda like tar. It may melt and drip and make a mess during valley or LA summers. B. I know your gonna do what you gotta do and that's all good. I look forward to seeing your hot lil baby in the near future.

Just my $.02
Mike

Mike

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Just my opinion, but I'm not really in a snowy area (only about 1 month out of the year when I go home to TN), but it does rain alot here, and it's very salty (being on the coast), so what I do is to wash my car frequently (twice a week, avg), and when I wash it, I spray/crub the undercarraige also... you should see it... everytime thecar goes up on the lift, the mechanic is like "You drive this thing... ever?" But just keep your car clean... I really wouldnt' wory about using that tar stuff, because if you do have a rust problem (you never know until you really look), you'll just be covering it up and a minor problem could get really big before long... Just keep your car clean, and use one of those "wands" at the do-it-yourself carwash to help you spray undneath and get some stuff out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts