Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I went to eat at Chilis and I saw a customer that goes to my parents business, I havent seen him for awhile so we bs for a couple minutes told him bout my new car . He has this Slammed Impala with 20's ,3 tvs,ps2, awesome sound, and he had just painted the car for mardi gras, (alot of ppl do that down here to stunt) it was custom blue last time I saw it and looked very nice in a ghetto kind of way, now its a dark burgundy. So I ask him how much it was to paint.He then tells me $550....Im like wtf???And the part that gets me the most is that he got it painted at Friggin EARL SCHEIB. I didnt believe they could do such a good job, and he told me the paint before was Earl scheib too,(3yrs ago). So he tell me that the others dont look good because its not prepped good, and that he prepped it himself, and got them to spray it.also they gave him a discount for doing so and thats how it came out to 5 bills, and there wasnt anything wrong with the old paint after 3 yrs.By then ppl I was was gettin antzy, so didnt get anymore info. Ive never heard of this being done.Makes me wonder....Especially after painting my prelude for $2k.Oh yeah thats including door jambs.What do U guys think hes bs ing or what?it was a very good looking job.

·
Registered
270 Posts
He's probably for real... It's the prepping that is the hardest and takes the most time to do... They only have to worry about spraying it so it doesn't run !!!

G

·
What is involved in the prep work, and do you think that if I bought the paint and prepped the car myself I could take it to a place like Maaco (sp) and have them do a good job? :p that place has always scared me. I just want to make my Legend look brand new again. I just started taking Autobody this semester in school (i'm a junior in HS). My teacher told me that he would teach me how to paint and that he would help me after school and stuff, but he said that he doesn't think that I'll be able to learn fast enough to be ready to paint my car by the end of the year. So I was thinking that at least if I learn how to prep, and then.... What do you guys think?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking same thing

I told my parents to get the guys number next time he comes by, My paint isnt all that great either. It gets dirty as hell a day after i wash it, and louisiana roads dont help at all.My car is black so scratches show up easily, my prelude looks cleaner and hasnt been washed in nearly a month/3days legend!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think most people don't prep their own car because of lack of skill and lack of time. I had a friend restore an mg that spent long hours filling, wet sanding, taking all the trim, bumpers, headlights, tailights, and windows out of the car so it would be ready to get sprayed. In the end the car looked pretty damn good but not what I would expect a true professional paint job to be. However, he probably saved himself a couple thousand in prep work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
He had it sprayed at a reputable shop for $1000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts