Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I had my whole front suspension checked out by a mechanic, everything is tight. Replaced the ball joints and the tie rods a few months ago. The problem is, when shifting from park to drive, even with my foot on the brake, I hear a clunk in the front. Also when slowing down to a stop, usually hear the same noise just before I stop. Sometimes when turning I hear it pop a few times until the wheels are straight.

I know axles usually make a clicking sound or vibrate at high speeds, but it sounds a little louder than a click and it isn't violently shaking at high speeds.

Do my symptoms sound like it can be the axles?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You sounds to me like it's time for the both new axles. They'll be violently shaking at high speeds in the next serveral hundred miles I believe. May I ask how many miles on your car?

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's at 160 000 miles, the noise started right after I had my ball joints replaced. Meaning the axles were removed, I think they might have been rough with them, but I know they were due anyway...

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
The "clunk" when putting in gear sounds like a typical completely broken tranny mount but if you get the noise also when turning then that sounds more like axles. Jack it up and try to turn the axles back and forth by hand and see if they are loose. Also do the same while a partner turns the steering wheel to see if you can hear anything then.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I tried turning them by hand but there's no play, only when I move them back and forth but I think that's normal. I'm going to take another look at them this weekend. I've been searching the Internet and other people seem to have the same symptoms with their axles too...

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have that same problem

I think it may have sumthing to do with the brakes. it only happens when your coming to a complete stop or when your car is parked and you put it in reverse or drive. its like the brake is fuckin around with the wheel. if you ever solve this can u please let me know

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.