Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
Im 18 years old, in high school, i just got my Legend recently, and i seem to be having serious problems with gas mileage.

OK well i got my '94 Legend L Sedan about 2 weeks ago for $7,300. It has about 96k miles on it. I dont know when the oil was last changed. I drive mixed driving, not that much city and more of the miles i get are highway miles. The same night i got my car the gas light came on saying im out of gas and i put in about 13 gallons (12.7 or so). Exactly 1 week later the gas needle was pretty much at zero, though the light didnt come on. I had drove about 180 miles, if i had checked the trip odometer correctly. Which comes out to about 14 or maybe 15 mpg??? Well when i got my gas i filled it up to full (it took 14.8 gal) and reset my trip odometer. Now my needle says half tank left, and ive gone 130 miles. (16 gallon tank, thats 15 mpg?). I dont understand why im gettin such bad mileage. Also the needle doesnt seem to be that accurate?? For a few days, maybe 3 or 4 days it will stay at full. Then all of a sudden in the next day it will drop down to 3/4 and in 1 more day or so down to 1/2. (same amount of driving each day). And also when driving hard, fast acceleration, high rpms etc, the car seems to drink about a 1/4 tank of gas in about an hour or so of driving??? Whats up with that????? Its almost like you can literally watch the gas needle going down!!! My dad says if the car gives milegage that bad we might have to sell it.................he said its supposed to give 19 mpg in CITY DRIVING and 24 mpg highway!!! And i hear all these guys (on these boards) talking about how they get 25 and 26 mpg on the highway. yo i aint selling my legend, so somebody please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What could it be, need an oil change?? A new gas filter??

(sorry for this mad long post, i just wanted to describe everything in detail and i really need this fixed fast, so everybody please give me your suggestions)
HELP!!!!
-Imran

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
I say change the oil and fuel filter since you don't know when it was last done and also try adding Chevron Techron fuel cleaner. I had a similar problem and after getting a tune-up done to my 93 LS sedan, i've been getting better gas mileage. Try to get those things changed and see what happens thereafter. Other people might have other opinions so just take a listen and we'll be able to help you out somehow.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
what kind of gas do you use?
Stick with 89 or 93 octane..and not the cheap stuff!!

*Check/change your spark plugs - go with Denso or NGK
($0-$70)
*Go to a reputable shop and have them clean your injectors (<$50)
*Mobil 1 or Castrol for your oil change
(<$30)
*Check for clogged or dirty air filter. You would be surprised at how much leaves and dead bumble bees you'll find in there:p

This is a start...try this out for a few hundred miles and let us know the results....

·
Blk/BlkGS6
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey,
allrite guys all that sounds good................think ill change my oil and fuel filters, get some fuel cleaner, clean out my air filter, use premium 93 gas (lol i was using regular 87.....cmon its cheap), get my plugs checked and maybe replaced. ill let u guys know the results................thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way, what mileage does every1 usually get??

thanks again

regards,
Imran

·
Registered
671 Posts
LEgEnD4LiFe said:
hey,
allrite guys all that sounds good................think ill change my oil and fuel filters, get some fuel cleaner, clean out my air filter, use premium 93 gas (lol i was using regular 87.....cmon its cheap), get my plugs checked and maybe replaced. ill let u guys know the results................thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way, what mileage does every1 usually get??

thanks again

regards,
Imran
My 92 Legend averages 17-21 mpg... usually hovers around 18 or 19...

Good luck,

James

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a 92 sedan and i modified a k&n air filter from a expedition to fit the legend and started geting 350mi a tank but now that i put 18"s on i went down to 275mi a tank, and always rock with cheveron 92 octane, and use kendal oil.
adam:D

·
Registered
655 Posts
legend4life same deal here

It seems like everyother day I put gas in the thing. I dont like to let gas get to empty before fillin up but when it gets to 1/4 tank, I can only put like 1/2tank to get full. I think that extra 1/4 goes both ways like to scare you into getting gas before it runs out.maybe its a luxury thing i dont know.

·
Registered
449 Posts
don't feel bad man I get average about 170 miles for a full tank. when I drive really hard and floors it all the time I get about 140 miles per tank. When I take trips all high way cruising 80-90mph I get 250 miles only. I don't even know wtf is going on. but I love my car too much to let that force me to sell it.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
sounds like you guys need a tune up....
on the sedan I get 275-300, depending on the force of the right foot...
on the coupe, well, I am always flooring it and driving it hard (whhoooohooo), so I get around 250-300, mixed city driving.

I have yet to take a real road trip in the coupe since my mod, so I cannot tell you the miles there, but the sedan is basically 289-300 all highway between 80-95mph.

Just a reminder...when you hit "E", there is about 4 gallons of reserve, which can be up to about 60-100 more miles of driving (which I don't ever suggest). If your car is lowered, it may appear your gas is lower than it is...especially when its lower in the front...this IS a good thing...you don't ever want to run out of gas in this car....

Danny, time to do a tune up buddy...140? That's horrid!
Even in my coupe with 18" and a system, always on it (like the last weekend at around 100mph or more) I still managed to get 250 outta that tank...

·
Registered
449 Posts
my major tune up was less than 10k ago, new timing belts, water pump, all the belts on the pulleys were changed, NGK plugs was just recently put in less than 3000 miles ago. Only thing that has never been changed is the fuel filter. This is a new engine with 80 k on it when I slap it in. I know this is a good engine because it was from my old legend that I totaled. what else do I need to do to get better gas milage?

BTW I only use 91 + octane gas

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have a 91'L with 119K miles on it. This weekend I went to LA and came back. My gas mileage was: after driving 200 miles, i stopped and refilled the tank with 8.2 gallons = 24 miles/gallon

ON the way back, it was 8.1 gallons for 198 miles = 24 miles.

I use only 91 Octane Chevron/Shell gas.

I'm not complaining. Traffic here in bay area sucks, so I get about 275 miles to a full tank while driving in town.

·
I'm too sexy for my car
2,498 Posts
I put in half a tank of gas in my car over the weekend and got about 150 miles on half a tank. This seems much better than the 100 miles I was getting before my tune-up.

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
OhMyGodItsDanny said:
do you think it's because of the mods I have? bayou stage II, intake, exhuast? oh 18's also take a big play in it too.
Danny...I have CAI, Exhaust and 18"...on the coupe
Stock on the sedan

hmmmm....I wonder...do you notice any sluggishness in performance?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts