Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just DVr'd this show....

It's fucking entrapment, but I digress....

Anyone who has seen it: 80% of the cars on the show were Acuras (All teg's from what I could tell)

I thought Acuras weren't even on the top 5 of stolen vehicles anymore?

Interesting how the Acks still attract theft aqlmost 10 years after production

·
SGM / Type F
3,653 Posts
As of early 07, if I remember correctly, three of the top stolen cars were Honda/Acura (Civic, Accord, Integra)...Nat'l Insurance Crime Bureau (www.nicb.org)

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
hella BS, these things don't catch real car thieves. real car thieves take the time to research and track a car down. Just leaving the windows down on a car with the keys in it only catch people that want to go for a joyride or something. now if they had a modded ITR or something and just drive it around town then park it and make it look secure, then it would prolly catch a real thief.

·
B.K.A Runa
1,291 Posts
hella BS, these things don't catch real car thieves. real car thieves take the time to research and track a car down. Just leaving the windows down on a car with the keys in it only catch people that want to go for a joyride or something. now if they had a modded ITR or something and just drive it around town then park it and make it look secure, then it would prolly catch a real thief.
:giggle: +1

·
Premium Member
9,324 Posts
They've also been shown to give their automotive targets female names...

like Eleanor.

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
If someone drops a diamond ring on the street does that make it yours to take? They have a valid case. They provide the opportunity, and the criminal decides what to do. I have watched all "Bait Car" episodes. Some times a good person will just park the car in a lot for them.

I wondered how this would work in NY? In NY it is illegal to leave the keys in the car, but all bait cars have the keys in them.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ity's the same here in Texas also. Illegal to leave a running car anywhere....

Don't the police have more proactive ways to catch car thieves? Systems like 'lojack' and increased patrols in theft neighborhoods would be dramatically more effective than arresting random people with no real intentions of theft....

If you find $20 on the street and pick it up, only to find some cops were monitoring that $20 and you just played a role in a drug conspiricy? It's a marked bill! And you have it in your pocket!

Scary shit....

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Ity's the same here in Texas also. Illegal to leave a running car anywhere....

Don't the police have more proactive ways to catch car thieves? Systems like 'lojack' and increased patrols in theft neighborhoods would be dramatically more effective than arresting random people with no real intentions of theft....

If you find $20 on the street and pick it up, only to find some cops were monitoring that $20 and you just played a role in a drug conspiricy? It's a marked bill! And you have it in your pocket!

Scary shit....
Just like the nice guy in last nights eppisode. If you try to do the proper thing with that $20 you are legal. Lets compare it to a purse. If someone accidently leaves a purse you would hope it would be safe. The only way to make it safe is to take the preditors off the street. You can't sit and watch every purse to catch the people that would do such a thing. The type of people that steal cars with the keys in them are opportunist. I hope they never see you stick a wad of cash in you wallet at a convience store.

·
Registered
797 Posts
moral of the story dont move soemthing that isnt yours, if they cause problems for " parking" and leaving the keys in the ign. thats their problem, park and walk your happy ass like everyone else.

a mother parks her car to run into a conveniant store for a short time and leaves the keys in to keep the ac/heater on rather than take her child out of the car seat lug the kid inside 4 feet to get a drink and some chips or something for the child
man comes by sees the car running and takes off.... how is that less wrong than busting a window jimmying the lock etc?

getting in a car that isnt your without consent to drive it is stealing.

entrapment is when the law gives you no other choice ( or pushes the odds of you commiting a crime to crimes favor ) but to commit a crime and then bust you for it, ive never seen the show but im assuming nobody put a gun to their heads and fail to see this as entrapment, same could be said if they put a viper on the street locked the doors and set the alarm and watched it, the car was just to damn expensive to pass up.

as far as a 20, i find one i keep it, simple fact is, how many people wouldnt claim found money, even if it werent theirs.

way i see it, if you dont notice you lost it you apparently have plenty to lose and wont suffer at the loss ( not hard to keep track of a few bills )

·
difficult to kill
710 Posts
+1 i found $100 in an unmarked envelope, soaking wet in the rain, in a parking lot awhile ago. i swooped it up and took off. i dont feel bad about it.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
moral of the story dont move soemthing that isnt yours, if they cause problems for " parking" and leaving the keys in the ign. thats their problem, park and walk your happy ass like everyone else.

a mother parks her car to run into a conveniant store for a short time and leaves the keys in to keep the ac/heater on rather than take her child out of the car seat lug the kid inside 4 feet to get a drink and some chips or something for the child
man comes by sees the car running and takes off.... how is that less wrong than busting a window jimmying the lock etc?

getting in a car that isnt your without consent to drive it is stealing.

entrapment is when the law gives you no other choice ( or pushes the odds of you commiting a crime to crimes favor ) but to commit a crime and then bust you for it, ive never seen the show but im assuming nobody put a gun to their heads and fail to see this as entrapment, same could be said if they put a viper on the street locked the doors and set the alarm and watched it, the car was just to damn expensive to pass up.

as far as a 20, i find one i keep it, simple fact is, how many people wouldnt claim found money, even if it werent theirs.

way i see it, if you dont notice you lost it you apparently have plenty to lose and wont suffer at the loss ( not hard to keep track of a few bills )
I disagree 100%. This is entrapment. The vast majority of people walk by it without committing a crime. Let's just say 20% of the people who see the car would be apt to steal it...

Knowing this, the cops place the car in a high-theft area and watch it for suspicious activity. If the car wasn't left running, or in a crime-ridden neighborhood you'd be right-hard time arguing entrapment.

They're COUNTING on that 20% that would be apt to steal the car. They admit as much on the show. It's fucking garbage and profiling....

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
i saw it and thought it was funny i thought it was entrapment also but they have been doing this for along time. i think most of the people are just plain stupid if it looks to good to be true it probably isn't.

·
B.K.A Runa
1,291 Posts
Its not entrapment, as to u have a choice to steal it. U know its not urs and u have the option to steal it or decline.

$20 bill on the ground. Its "mine". Reason? Because paper doesnt belong to any of us anyway. Its not something that u take home everyday and put away in ur driveway. U replenish it every few weeks or days or hours depending on how u live.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^
Sadly; you are way off. The law does not coincide with your statements/assumptions....

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
So the day that I leave my fully modded Legend with the keys in it I should not care when you steal it? The reality is the people in this world should be good enough to not take what is not thiers. Those who are not should be caught before they can take from the innocent.

Every Bait car I see makes me happy that person is off the street, even if only for 1 night.

·
Registered
185 Posts
morbo is right, they can't PROVE you were stealing it( i have not seen show). If i came up to an integra and broke windows in and hotwired=duh
me jump in to move car, shut it off, maybe was going to lock it up??? Unless they show person driving car around town to a chop shop...i would say they got nothing but a small charge.

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
morbo is right, they can't PROVE you were stealing it( i have not seen show). If i came up to an integra and broke windows in and hotwired=duh
me jump in to move car, shut it off, maybe was going to lock it up??? Unless they show person driving car around town to a chop shop...i would say they got nothing but a small charge.
They did show a citizen parking one of the cars. They sent a marked unit in to retrieve the keys. I leave my house unlocked. If you even open my door without my permission it is still trespassing. Having a lock only ups the charge to breaking an entering, but for those that want in it doesn't change a thing. The value of what you take make the serious charge. Am I entrapping every person that tests my door knob? Of course over 5 years it has only been tested twice by local pre-teens playing. What you steal determines a felony.

If you really think it is ok to hop in any car that you do not have direct permission to drive then you should be in jail!

·
Go grab your bottle today
292 Posts
i wouldnt have a problem hoppin into a car if it was just sitting there with the keys to move it if they were parked all effed up but then i would toss the keys back in it and lock it up just so they get the message its not like i would peel out, do some doughnuts and then drive off or something they shouldn have left everything wide open and parked like an idiot

·
B.K.A Runa
1,291 Posts
^
Sadly; you are way off. The law does not coincide with your statements/assumptions....
I realize the law but unless u saw me take it and matching serial #'s, its mine. Possesion is 9/10s of the law.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
what happened to respect. back in the days you could leave your car unlocked with the windows open and keys sitting inside and nobody would touch your shit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts