Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last wk I decided to use the trusty '87 coupe (that hadn't been started in a month) but the battery was dead. So, being the resourceful type, I jumped it off with the wife's Explorer. No problem. Went to Walmart where the battery showed dead by battery checker. Bought new battery and went happily on my way. Left the coupe unused for 4 days this week and, dead battery. Tried to put charger on it, but, it keeps kicking the charger off. Still dead. I suspect a dead short. But where? Maybe something else? Did I screw up by jumping it off? Let me know where to look, if you've experienced something like this. The next thing I'll check are the fuses. If that doesn't pan out, I'll be standing by the car scratching my head. .........HELP........:confused:

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
When was the last time you changed the alternator? Kinda sounds like something was left on cause a brand new battery wouldn't die that quick. Look around to see if anything was left on, like headlights, door left open, something like that. Hope you find the problem.

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,722 Posts
Unless you have a bad alternator or the old fan control unit problem, it's probably the new battery, especially if it's kicking the charger off. It's not at all uncommon to get a bad "brand new" battery with an internal short (which is undetected by normal testing). The way some resellers pass batteries around, this doesn't surprise me at all.

I solved my problem by getting a Red Top (Optima) and all my 'issues' disappeared.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Rest of The Story

:thumbsup: Took the battery back to Walmart and it checked out BAD (dead short). They didn't believe me until they put the test meter on it. Got new one (maybe it will last a little longer than a week), put it in the trusty G-1 and there be energy. Started right up and runs like it has a new battery. Thanks, guys, for all the suggestions. I guess in this case the simplest answer was the right one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Telafonic,

I'll post some pics of my silver twenty-one year old in a couple of weeks. After she's had her spring cleaning. Since mine sits out all winter, every spring I try to get her back in shape with a good wash and wax (even more than I do throughout the year). Just wish I could find an economical replacement for the outside vertical wing panel of the drivers seat that gets scraped everytime I get in and out. It now has a quarter sized hole that just gets bigger every month. Last upholstery shop I talked with wanted $200 just to replace that one piece. Any suggestions?

·
Spiral descent
5,004 Posts
I don't have any great suggestions for that other than a decent seat cover. I have the same issue but it's much worse, and I need new seat covers.
The Iggee seat covers have been successful for most owners and they look decent for the price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts