Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running two amps one is 800w and the other is 300w. I have a cap on the bigger amp and it still really drains my battery at idle. I can see my headunit lights dim and my headlights dim when the bass hits. I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to redistribute power to my system and keep the alternator from blowing. I blew the alt. on my old car with the same system. Should I get a better battery? more caps?

·
Registered
103 Posts
What kind of amp is your 800 watt? Is it 800 max or rms? How do you have your subs hooked up? If you have your subs run parallel and your amp is seeing say 2 or even one ohm you could be drawing quite a bit of amperage. The best thing to do would be to get your alt. rewound to a higher output or get a higher output alt. But chances are your not going to want to spend that kind of cash. A second cap might work for you. Any extra juice you can store up would be helpful.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
People may laugh, but if you really wanted to stop the lights from dimming, try wiring a capacitor to each side of the headlights. Just think about that for a second, and you cas see why that would help better than wiring it on the amp power line.

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
get an SVR or Optima battery for a second battery that you can mount in your trunk. I've always given this advice, but few take it and use it. I've done this and it does work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The only reason, and I say only because quite a few very respected people in the car audio industry such as Steve Brown of Alpine don't recommend putting a second battery in a car unless your going to run your stereo with the car off for longer periods of time. Not only is it going to add resistance, but if your alt is having a hard time keeping up with your current setup what is another battery going to do to it? Another battery may help, but what an amp needs when you have subs pulling juice is extra amperage. A battery isn't designed to do that. If you have your stereo cranked and it is pulling a lot of amps through the system it's going to drain a battery and the alternator is going to have to work extra hard to fill that need. Fortunatley in our legends we have a higher rated alt. The best way to fix the problem for good would be to spend the extra cash and get a higher rated alt. Why put in 125 to 150 bucks to get an Optima or a similar battery when your still taxing and lowering the life of your current alternator? Your going to have to replace it sooner or later anyway. I would buy a second cap that is designed to give up amperager fast, recharge fast, and not necisarrily tax your alt as much as a second battery. Just my 2 cents, well maybe .10

1 - 6 of 6 Posts