Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im surprised no one said anything yet but I just got done reinstalling my ECU w/ the stage II chip. I still have not installed my intake or exhaust yet but I took a quick ride to test the chip and I was impressed.

I have a type I motor with no mods :rolleyes: . Unlike Dave (Dmenn), I fortunately had no problems and no check engine light. The car idled very smooth and I was finally relieved everything worked just like before. I warmed up the car on my way to the parkway, driving cautiously and not noticing any change from before. I finally turned onto the entrance and punched it. My brand new Dunlop 9000 starting spinning, much too my surprise since I never had this much tire spin. The next thing I notice the tach shot up to 6200 rpm before shifting into second. The sound of the engine was different, more noticable growl. As it went into second I felt a nice mid-power band that was missing, the car pulled up to 80 mph effortlessly and it wanted more but I slowed down. As I drove back home I also realized the improved throttle response and the urge for the car to kick-down and take off. For $250 this was a well worth upgrade. Even without mods you will have a nice grin on your face.

Rating: :D :D :D :D :D

PS - Yes. I should come clean and say that I need to put a foot in my mouth for saying I wanted to keep my car stock. My car is no longer stock and I need someone to please get this mod bug off my back!!!! It a disease and I need help...
:(

G

·
So u must have a 6 speed? I was thiking about getting that for my 95 coupe... I was hesitant because I thought it would decrease gas milage...:) Glad u r pleased.. BTW the mod monkey will never go away until u have done all u can.:D

·
Junior Mint
633 Posts
I really like the chip too. I think it makes as much difference as an intake and exhaust combined.

My car (automatic type I) would never rev higher then 5500 rpm. With the chip it goes up to 6250.

My gas mileage is about 23 MPG highway. I get about 350 mi per tank of gas.

- ek

·
Registered
282 Posts
No luck yet, it's back in the hands of PPP. They just got it on Friday, so hopefully I'll hear from them on Mon. or Tues. and 'hopefully' have it back in my hands by the end of this week :)

I'll keep you all updated...

·
502MotorSports.com
9,321 Posts
LEgEnD4LiFe said:
sounds good, but how long will i be not driving my car????
does anyone have any hp figures for the chip on a type I auto??
how much does gas mileage decrease?
1 - you will be w/o car for about 2-3 days.
(They ship it within 2-3 days from taking delivery of your ECU
2- HP and Torque across the ENTIRE powerband should be 7-8hp and 10-12Lbs ft torque at the WHEELS...

http://www.bayouperformance.com

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
311 Posts
Sounds very nice. To make the Dunlop 9000 squel like that i'm convinced since I hardly ever hear mine when I gun it or take tight cornering on my 17". Where do you pull the ECU from BTW if i wanted to check that out?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
MC_ said:
Im surprised no one said anything yet but I just got done reinstalling my ECU w/ the stage II chip. I still have not installed my intake or exhaust yet but I took a quick ride to test the chip and I was impressed.

I have a type I motor with no mods :rolleyes: . Unlike Dave (Dmenn), I fortunately had no problems and no check engine light. The car idled very smooth and I was finally relieved everything worked just like before. I warmed up the car on my way to the parkway, driving cautiously and not noticing any change from before. I finally turned onto the entrance and punched it. My brand new Dunlop 9000 starting spinning, much too my surprise since I never had this much tire spin. The next thing I notice the tach shot up to 6200 rpm before shifting into second. The sound of the engine was different, more noticable growl. As it went into second I felt a nice mid-power band that was missing, the car pulled up to 80 mph effortlessly and it wanted more but I slowed down. As I drove back home I also realized the improved throttle response and the urge for the car to kick-down and take off. For $250 this was a well worth upgrade. Even without mods you will have a nice grin on your face.

Rating: :D :D :D :D :D

PS - Yes. I should come clean and say that I need to put a foot in my mouth for saying I wanted to keep my car stock. My car is no longer stock and I need someone to please get this mod bug off my back!!!! It a disease and I need help...
:(
did you get the stage 1 chip or the stage 2?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thai.95LCoupe - I have an auto and MPG was not a concern, especially since I only drive about 1500 miles a year :(

Aiznpride - Stage II chip. I wouldn't bother with a Stage I, even without the intake/exhaust the car felt like it benefited from the chip, no loss in performance otherwise.

LEgEnD4LiFe - Again, MPG was not a concern of mine. After owning a SUV that only gets 13-15 mpg, I'm no longer concerned in mpg.

rockshox72 - Good point, Dunlop are pretty sticky. I had a lot less spin when I had 8000 (before the chip) and 9000 are supposely more stickier.

FutureX 2001 - Willie at PPP mentioned that those with type I engines (auto) will notice the most improvement from the chip. Judging from the tire spin, it seems my car has more torque.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts