Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Looks like I will be needing new brake pads very shortly... I was hoping you guys could tell me from your experience, what the best aftermarket brake pads were and why. I am currently using ROTEX.. and I HATE THEM! They squeek and they have just cracked in the center of the pad... In the past, I heard that KVR pads were good... Are there any others?

heya Chris Kam, Mike Cruz mentioned that you were using another very good brand of brake pads... what were they called? and how well do they work? Where is the best place to purchase them?


also, this is for a 91 legend coupe


Thanks!
Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply... I actually have a few questions about the ones you ordered... Is EBC a brand? or a model? when you say green.. what exactly do you mean? what are they made of? how much did they cost for all 4 and where ddi you pick them up?

thanks!

Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
I will never own anything AEM after hearing of their dealings with a personal friend of mine... Wes @ www.redlnr.com
Just a thought, even though I did want their brake pads...
I need some that don't heat up that much 'cause they squeek on my Brizembos. *:D Sorry, don't know why I did that.*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
attn G Rahn

G Rahn,
Where is the info regards to the fix for the rear pads? Also where is the cheapest place to find these EBC green pads?

Thanks!

eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
580 Posts
I went with TOMS with the RED backing for my coupe

Still have not installed them yet.

Running Axxis Metal Masters on the Sedan and they work great!

James
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
G Rahn,
Thanks for the info! I wonder if the EBC pads are specific for our cars... and not universal... The reason I say that is we should not have to modify the pads to fit our cars...

but if those pads are as good as everyone states.. then i think it is worth it to invest and modify them...

Would you happen to have any pics of the pads modified?

thanks!

Eric


Everyone else: Thank you for your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Grassroots Motorsports gives EBC pads great reviews. And with the types (and amount) of testing that magazine does, I'm sure that EBC Greenstuff is perfect for most performance oriented street cars.
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
Edub said:
G Rahn,
Thanks for the info! I wonder if the EBC pads are specific for our cars... and not universal... The reason I say that is we should not have to modify the pads to fit our cars...

but if those pads are as good as everyone states.. then i think it is worth it to invest and modify them...

Would you happen to have any pics of the pads modified?

thanks!

Eric

Everyone else: Thank you for your input!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is sort of specific, but sort of universal. The rear brake pad size and shape is the same as many other Honda Acura cars, however, some (Like Guy mentioned in his fix topic) use caliper handbrake systems, but we use drum hand brake systems. I don't believe EBC knows of this. The pads however fits perfect as far as size goes over the stock rotor, however, in my case only, when I put them on with my brand new brembo rotors, the entire set up was about 1 mm too thick so I couldn't get the capiler to slide back on if I used all 4 brake shims. In my case, I used 1 shim on each pad instead of 2 and it went on. It could just be my set up though, as I don't recal anyone else mentioning this problem. Maybe I just didn't get the caliper piston pushed back 100%, even though I thought I did.

Aside from that, I'm very happy with them. Like I said, no warm up time at all, and it graps well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chris,
Do the new shims come with the pads? Or should I get new ones from the Dealer? also, how do we know how many shims really need to be put on each side for the front and the rears?

also., did you use "brake Quiet" too?

Thanks
Eric
 

·
GS Hog
Joined
·
7,026 Posts
ChrisK said:


It is sort of specific, but sort of universal. The rear brake pad size and shape is the same as many other Honda Acura cars, however, some (Like Guy mentioned in his fix topic) use caliper handbrake systems, but we use drum hand brake systems. I don't believe EBC knows of this. The pads however fits perfect as far as size goes over the stock rotor, however, in my case only, when I put them on with my brand new brembo rotors, the entire set up was about 1 mm too thick so I couldn't get the capiler to slide back on if I used all 4 brake shims. In my case, I used 1 shim on each pad instead of 2 and it went on. It could just be my set up though, as I don't recal anyone else mentioning this problem. Maybe I just didn't get the caliper piston pushed back 100%, even though I thought I did.

Aside from that, I'm very happy with them. Like I said, no warm up time at all, and it graps well.
I had the same problem with my front pads. I think that it was the plating that made the difference. I remedied it by sanding the pads down to clear the rotors.
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
Edub said:
Chris,
Do the new shims come with the pads? Or should I get new ones from the Dealer? also, how do we know how many shims really need to be put on each side for the front and the rears?

also., did you use "brake Quiet" too?

Thanks
Eric
The shims are already on the OEM pad. It simply slips right off. The Legend had 2 shims for each pad front and rear. I presume it is for head absorbtion, but I'm not sure. My other Acura (Integra, if I recall correctly) only had 1 shim, but I can't be sure. Either way, I've been driving with this set up for over one month with no problems, and infact much better braking over stock. Also, like I mentioned, it could be that I just wasn't able to get my caliper piston back in 100%, as I don't recall anyone else mentioning this problem. Also, I put the EBC on my 95 with stock rotors and it slip on perfectly fine. It was only with the Brembo drilled rotors and new EBC pads on my 93 that I ran in to that slight problem. I did use brake quiet, but I really don't think it was needed, as I know others who have not used it and still have to squeek. I just did it because I had a couple of extra packets, and I didn't want to take any chances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
How much can I expect to pay for a set of Axxis MM pads?? What would be a god price?? I was looking into getting a set because I hate brake dust all over my rims
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top