Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps-

what is the best grade of motor oil for the legend....I have the 86 legend sedan.....157mi......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW....5W-30?....I read that somewhere elso also.....if that's the best...that's what I will get.

Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use 5-30 or 10-30. I have been using synthetics for about a year or two. Just found 5 gallons of mobil one synth 10-30 for 12 buks at wal mart. Its says it claims to be formulated for higher milage engines. So I figured of trying it over the 5-30 which said for newer engines, I believe 10-30 is better during summer time anyway and on old oil seals. But 5-30 claims a better fuel economy although I haver never noticed it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HMMMM......JESS....i kiind of had that same theory as well...my car has 158k and is 16yrs old...10-30W could be the safe way to go.

·
Registered
427 Posts
i'm wondering if i can use 5w-30 for the summer or the whole year? becuase since my recent oil change to 10w-30 my ticking noise seems to have increased but i was told to use 10w-30 for the summer time though:confused: i heard that 10w is thicker so the sun won't thin out the oil during the summer and if i use 5w it will just make the oil very thin and would splash around. i use mobil1 synthetic and wonder if i can use 5w the whole year, i have high milage as well

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Why use 5W-30 in a G1?

According to the charts in the shop and owner's manuals, 5w-30 should be used when the outside temperature is 30 F and below.

The link (chart) is right out of the owner's manual. 10w-30 would be more appropriate for warmer climates.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: Why use 5W-30 in a G1?

paulo57509 said:
According to the charts in the shop and owner's manuals, 5w-30 should be used when the outside temperature is 30 F and below.

The link (chart) is right out of the owner's manual. 10w-30 would be more appropriate for warmer climates.
are you sure it isn't for 30 C and below? My manual says 5W-30 is recommended for most climates and 10W-30 for cooler temps...

·
Registered
400 Posts
yeah i thought our engines called for 5w30. thats what i use, and i also put in that valvoline synthetic mix, u just add to your oil and it makes it more durable and lubricates the engine better.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Re: Re: Why use 5W-30 in a G1?

Nate90LegendLS said:

are you sure it isn't for 30 C and below? My manual says 5W-30 is recommended for most climates and 10W-30 for cooler temps...
Look at the chart again. The temperature scale is in both F and C. 5w-30 is for outside temperatures of about 30 degrees F and below.

Again, this chart is directly out of the '87 coupe owner's manual. The same chart appears in the '87 coupe factory shop manual as well.

No, this isn' t the chart for the manual transmission.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Why use 5W-30 in a G1?

paulo57509 said:
Again, this chart is directly out of the '87 coupe owner's manual. The same chart appears in the '87 coupe factory shop manual as well.
Both my 89 and 90 owner's manuals say "5W-30 (recommended)". It goes on to list all other grades on a similar scale, though I recall that 5W-30 was in a higher temperature range or something. I'll check it tomorrow.

·
Registered
154 Posts
OK, looking at the chart in my owners manual, i am seeing the chart and 10W-30 is recommended for -10 C and higher climates, below that there is the 5W-30 bar that says preferred and reaches throughout the entire temperature range on the chart to go below -30 C (-20 F) and extend beyond 40 C (100+ F). so it all must depend on which year your legend is since there is a discrepency among paulo's 87 and my 90.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts