Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Opinion poll:
What are the best sounding SET (as in combination) of fronts and rears to add to the stock head unit? I'm getting ready to go in and could use some valuable opinions!:cool:

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
L, or LS/GS?

If you replaced the amp on the LS/GS syste, with an aftermarket amp, then I would say any higher end brand speakers will be good. I personally use Diamond Audio HEX series with silk dome tweeters. Focal, is also another good high end speaker. If you keep the stock amp, I would say one of the 2 ohm aftermarket speakers like SoundStream.

If you have the L, then any good efficient speaker will be Okay.
If you add an amp to the L system, then I would say any of the high end speakers I mentioned for the LS/GS system will be good.

G

·
Yeah, you really need to know which Stock headunit you have. i.e. I had a stock '94 Coupe L headunit which is the 2200 and it has a built in 80W amp that uses 4ohm speakers so it was real easy for me to replace the speakers. I eventually then ended up changing my headunit and it was easy to because I never had to shift from 4ohms.

Now just about all the other headunits are different. BOSE had some really funk designs with the Legend's soundsystem (and just about every other soundsytem that they have ever made) most of them operate at 2ohms, and some of them even have a separate amp for each speaker, talk about a pain in the ass.

If you want to get by this then you have to buy some special ohm converter things which are expensive, and in the end you would probably just be better off getting a new headunit and speakers. It's cheaper in the end and better sounding. How can you complain. :cool:

Hey Chris, looks like somebody has more posts! ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well...

Futture...the amp is under the passenger side of the rear seat I believe (I think that's what I read in another post)...
Speed - I have the Premium Pkg (just ask my girl!...sorry, couldn't resist). Only additions are a Clarus 600W mono amp pushing 2 10" MTX Extremes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New additions to La Familia

As you guys can see from the bullets, I broke down and upgraded. Loving it with the exception of an inability to get the sound absolutely perfect (so far) due to the fact that I'm still using the factory deck. I was thinking though...there must be some kind of gadget on the market to "de-spatialize" the signals coming from the factory deck...Anyone ever heard of such an item?:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
744 Posts
mushskid

just got off the phone with the parts dept at Karen Radley who said a '94 GS came with a 200w premium bose system single amp.

I called Diamond Audio, Crutchfield, Crystal Spectrum when I was going to change out the existing 2ohm speaks from my 95 LS Coupe which has the same 200w single amp premium bose system as the GSs came with. All recommended 4ohm speakers that did not draw ampheres with the likes of cerwin vegas or infinity kappas. Diamond Audo and Crutchfield both recommended POLK and Crystal Spectrum recommended Pioneer. No mention of ohm converters or gadjets of this nature much less swapping out headunits to do a 4 ohm switch.

FutureX 2001

your amp is located BEHIND the backrest in the rear passenger compartment not under the rear passenger seat.

KNLNGUS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts