Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to keep our EGR and manifolds clean?

I was at an Acura dealer buying Acura Antifreeze and the manager was on the phone with a customer. They want to charge $500 to do the EGR/manifold work.

· Registered
162 Posts
Yep, just to clean out the EGR pipe is $350 at the stealership. I did it in 2 hrs and it cost me $30. Not hard. I actually wrote a DIY about it. The best way is to always use premium fuel, because it burns cleaner but sometimes EGR pipe gets clogged anyway, at about 160k clean it out and you are good to go for a while.

· Registered
162 Posts
True, if the EGR pipe is clogged, the exhaust doesn't recirculate into the intake (exactly what the EGR does) to improve emissions, people in Cali have a hard time passing the smog test one of the reasons is because the pipe is clogged, but it doesn't mean you will get better gas milege.

· Registered
162 Posts
I know in Utah the emissions are kinda strict, in some counties at least I don't know that with a EGR clogged it would pass here in Utah. I initally thought it would give me better gas milege, but it didn't that is why I did mine....

· Registered
392 Posts
Somebody may disagree.. however.. this is per my own experience..

My EGR pipe was 99% clogged when it had 150k miles. Of course, I do NOT know when it started being clogged but I found it being clogged at 150k miles.

Then, of course, I tried real hard to remove all those shoots and gunk as much as possible. I f I had a sort of parts cleaner or something, it wouldn't cause me such sweat... It was really hardened.....

I confess that I had been using the cheapest available gas 87 octane or something... No other additive ever...

Anyway, after I removed like 70~80% of shoots inside wall of the pipe, I reinstalled with fresh gasket... then, what a difference!!!! It became reall smooth...

Now my 94 L sedan has 196 k miles... I still use the lowest octane.. but it runs super!!! Actually, it feels like it runs better than my 95 LS Coupe with 135k miles, which I have never opened EGR area... I hope I can do EGR cleaning for 95 LS Coupe someday... but I know it is not really easy, very time consuming due to its' confined work-area....

· Registered
899 Posts
The EGR allows exhaust with no oxygen to circulate back into the intake manifold when the car is above idle. That causes the compression to drop and also lowers combustion temps because of the lower amounts of oxygen in the already burned air. That lowers NOX, or the crap that makes smog. The stuff to clean the tube out with is GM Top Engine Cleaner. It will soften the deposits overnight if you are working on cleaning out that tube. Then you can run a wire down it and compressed air and the coke will go away. Coke is a carbon that is harder than carbon. The same stuff is what builds up on injectors.

· Registered
899 Posts
Th Acura TSB to free up stuck rings calls for it. Don't pour it into the intake. It goes in through one of the hoses. The TSB was about 1992 or 1993 so find that and follow the directions. It makes a HUGE stinky cloud that consumes blocks - do it on a rainy windy night.

For what it is worth, my jeep intake valves used to coke up really bad. Chunks the size of marbles would fall off into the combustion chambers. One night when working on the intake manifold I took some of those chunks off and put each the size of a marble into glass jars with different fluids. I tried Berrymans, Red Mystery Oil, Trans fluid, Kerosene, gasoline, Water, Acetone etc and some of the GM stuff. Overnight the GM stuff almost dissolved it into like a wet tooth paste. The other stuff took weeks and barely dented it. Even the Berrymans did nothing to it. Acetone didn't touch it. If you know your chemistry, carbon becomes soft coal (Bituminous) first, then hard coal (Anthracite) then graphite then diamonds. Coke is carbon that is converting to graphite. The heat and combustion pressure in th eengine causes the carbon atoms to fuse tightly together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.