Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I wanted to get some of those imitation HID bulbs for my car. There are about a million different brands out there carying from $15 to $70. I used to have Naxos on my other car and they looked sweet- I want that kinda look- at least some hue of blue. I got hyperwhite bulbs for my fogs and I didn't like the color. Also I heard that Naxos burn out really quick(like every 6 months). Does anybody have any suggestions? All input is appriciated.

'90 LS coupe

20% tint
Custom clear bumper lenses
Custom mesh grill
Kenwood 10 disc CD
165,000 miles

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I've actually heard that Naxos gave the best color and performance<----If you consider tinted, dim blue bulbs to have performance...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, they are better than stock and I don't have $500 for a real HID conversion kit. The stock bulbs are very dim themselves. And some bulbs try to compensate by providing higher wattages. I actually read an article put out by the DOMV saying that having a light blue coating on the bulb actually puts out a brighter light and increases visabilty including reflective surfaces.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Lighting FAQ

FWIW, here's some lighting info:

http://lighting.mbz.org/

Take it with a grain of salt if this site steers you towards a specific product. Keep in mind this guy sells stuff. But overall, the site seems pretty objective and neutral as far as I can tell.

G

·
Just save your money and get the HID's the kits are getting cheaper all the time,and you can find them on ebay now sometimes for $300. The bulbs don't burnout like other ones so you aren't going to be stuck buying new PIAA SuperPlasmas or SuperWhites every year for like $80. Plus you can move the HID's to your next car so its a good investment. (I just modify them myself, I have a D2S with a perfect fit into my 9006 housing)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The new kits online are at least $400. And that is for the cheaper ones. I would rather get rims and pay $20 for some fakies. I'm going for lowest cost/best look. But i do appriciate your input. What kind of HID kit did you get on your car? It looks good. Bright. Is there anyway you can convert the kit for different bulb sizes later? Like go from a 9004 to a 9006? Thanks.

'90 LS coupe

20% tint
Custom mesh grill
Kenwood 10 disc CD
165,000 miles

G

·
Yeah, the ballasts doesn't care what kinda bulb you hook up to it or even what kind. Like I have a 4100K D2S bulb on mine right now but I could go to autolampsonline (or whatever that place is called) and buy a 6000K 9006 bulb. I wouldn't do that though because I'm going to be getting the one piece lights sometime in the future.

I have Hella ballasts, and 4100K Sylvania D2S bulbs. I got it from a friend for like $250, who got it from a friend that works at an Audi Dealer ship. The stuff came out of a wrecked Audi I guess (A6). I really like 'em so far. Here's another pic of halogen/HID.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
catz zeta sounds pretty kool but I don't know how much better they look. Do you have them on your car? Do they make them for 9004? I only saw 9005,9006, and a bunch of 'H' bulbs. Anyways these things go for about 200-300 dollars without the bulbs. I'd rather go HID if I'm gonna be spending that much. I still see the best option as the Naxos bulbs($35). But thanx for the info... i haven't seen any of those catz systems around on the net... maybe there is a good reason for that...

'90 LS coupe

20% tint
Custom mesh grill
Kenwood 10 disc CD
165,000 miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts