Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long did your original motor last before the headgaskets blew?? i wanna see if mine is the youngest at 112k :****: i think i remember seeing that someone's blew at 70k or so....but i cant remember.

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know milage has nothing to do with it. the question was just stating when everyone's blew. just for conversation purposes. blah. mine already blew so its not like i care when other people's blew. just trying to liven the place up.

· Registered
4,439 Posts
Here's the story. Bought the car in '93 with 25k on it. Warranty expired at 30k. Car was maintained at the same dealership from '93-'2003 from 30k to 135k. It was my dad's car for those years.

At 55000 miles the radiator cracked. He took it to the dealer. They told him they didn't have the part but it was okay, just drive it, top it up, no worries.

He took their advice, and I remember stopping with him at gas stations and running around trying to find a hose so he could mix Prestone and water and pour it into the radiator.

At 55118 miles the radiator was replaced for $593, but I suppose the damage was already done.

At 76677 miles the 75000 mile service was performed, and 46000 miles out of warranty. 75000 service included a coolant flush.

I was in the passenger seat. We were driving out of the dealer parking lot, made a left turn, and accelerated. Suddenly the car exploded with coolant, all over the windshield. My dad didnt hesitate, which probably saved the heads, and turned the ignition off the moment it happened. We glided into the margin. Walked back to the dealer, they ended up having to tow the car about 100 feet.

This is what the receipt says:

Customer reports = Seeing steam come from engine area and antifreeze under the car.
Diagnose blown headgasket.
We believe this damage happened over a period of time by the looks of the gasket.
But since the overheating occured after a coolant flush. The customer was given goodwill assistance.
Comes with a 12 moth or 12000 mile warranty whichever comes first.

Warranty 60%, internal 40%. Charge to 450 account.

Parts:

Gasket Kit A, C
Thermostat
Rubber
Filter, Oil
Washer 14mm
Washer 12mm
5W/30, differential oil

Total labor and parts: $0

Cool huh?

This was eight years ago. Took about three weeks to get the car back. They sent the heads off to some place to see if they needed to be machined, they didn't. On the back is a nifty drawing of the headgasket and the damage.

I'm hoping it continues to hold.

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dang arnach....you lucky SOB. lol. i hate you, lmao....but not really. i wish the same thing happened to me, but i doubt it would work cuz i work at the dealership and they would prolly suspect something, lol.

· Registered
264 Posts
My BHG started around 95K miles. I believe the faulty radiator caused all the problem. I drove another 4 weeks before I decided to repair it myself. I bought it with 86K miles on it. It lasted a year before the HG blew. I am also convinced the previous owner did not take care of the car well.

· Registered
310 Posts
MF'ing BHG

I jinxed myself with the 300,000 mile post I did this weekend. I am fairly certain that my head gasket blew last night. Hopefully there is no damage to the actual heads. :rolleyes: We'll see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.