Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I know most of the aftermarket "big brake" kits seem to require 17 inch rims. Are there any aftermarket upgrades (12 inch, 12.5 inch) rotors that fit under the stock GS 16 inch wheels?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Blackend Motorsports
4,166 Posts
you are correct sir! hope to have it done (at least the prototype) this year. kind of a long time, but quality projects that deal with very important aspects of your car take a while to do correctly!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On NSX prime, there was a discussion that 97-2005 rotors (12 inch I believe) could be used with the pre 97 calipers by changing a bracket.

Since our GS brakes are essentially identical, can this be done with our GS brakes and GS rims? The 97 NSX rims were 16inch in the front as well...

·
Blackend Motorsports
4,166 Posts
You're talking about BrakeExpert - he's on this forum as well sometimes. He's caught a lot of heat over the kits he is putting together, not sure why that is, but it looks like a good DIY setup using the new RL calipers and different rotors. He's making the adapter plates for those now I believe.

We're taking a different approach, and trying to fit as much braking behind a stock 16" LS/GS or NSX rim as we can using parts designed to go together. It may end up being a little more expensive than what BE is going to offer, but I believe it will perform better in the long run.

I'm also going to cap our price at 1K - if we can't deliver substantial braking improvement for under that, it's not worth doing IMO.

Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm speaking of using stock 91-96 NSX calipers (the same as the GS calipers reportedly, except for cosmetic differences) with 97-2005 NSX rotors (larger diameter). Supposedly you just need a custom bracket of some sort. If I find the post I put up a link.

If you have the stock type 1 calipers like I do, I figure the GS calipers with a larger rotor would probably be a good upgrade, especially if it fits under the stock GS rims.

matt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump.

Someone has to make brakes that fit under the stock 16 inchers...

Also, I may just go with the GS brakes and good pads, as this will be a decent upgrade from the single piston L brakes.

If I go the GS upgrade route, what is the cheapest place to buy the GS front brakes?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Blackend Motorsports
4,166 Posts
LOL.

If your kit ends up fitting under NSX/GS 16"s, I'd assume they'll fit under my CL-S and TL-S 17"s despite the wheel/spoke design. Right?
I don't see why not. At this point the main change will be a thicker rotor and a stronger caliper...not sure if the diameter will change too much on the rotor since they're pretty tight on the type 2 setup's anyway. Time will tell though

1 - 12 of 12 Posts