Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently I would start my car up and the engine would start at 1100 RPM later rise to 2200 RPM and then start revving up and down. I always wait until it drops below 1k to drive it. Second problem I recently noticed was my car is overheating after I drive it hard. The temp gauge would go 2 marks below the H Mark. Dunno if these two problems are related but it seems like these two problems popped up at the same time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Check ur radiator for leaks and see how much coolant u got in the resavoir.
Latin................

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey

Yeah...no leaks in the rad because the rad still has coolant and my coolant tank is full. Actually last night I found it was low so I added some yesterday but problem still persists. Did I do some damage?

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's goota b ur radiator. I'm pretty sure. I just wet through the problem myself. My rpm's were going up and down. Sometimes even while driving, the needle would go all the way to H then drop down. If I was @ a stop light and put my car in N, the rpm would go up and down and my engine would make harsh noises.

I don't know the name of this tool, but It looks like a basketball pump, and u put it on the opening to the radiator to c the pressure and for leaks. Take it to the mechanic shop and just ask them to test for u. They'll know wot I'm talking about. If u need a new radiator, post it here and I'll show u wot u need to do.

Latin.......................

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
These can be two unrelated problems.

For the RPM issues. Try cleaning or replacing your PCV valve, if the air pressure is restricted it can cause the engine to run lean. Also, on your throttle body is a screw. Try adjusting this screw while your engine is jumping around in RPM and see if it helps. You may stall it while doing this. If that's the case, no harm is done, just start it back up.

For the temp problem. It could be the radiator but I wouldn't rule out a possible bad thermostat or a leaky headgasket, which is known to plague G2 Legends. Only way to find out for certain is take it to a mechanic. A new thermostat will run you $30 plus labor. If you got some basic car know-how you can do that job yourself.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
this is related to having air in your coolant system. The temperature sensor is not immersed in liquid periodically and then sends signal to engine management system regarding mixture of fuel/air/idle speed to speed up (cold engine). You likely have a leak in the coolant system (radiators are notoriously bad in these cars...stress cracks that are very hard to see but allow air in when the system cools). fix the leak and bleed the air and your problem will go away...good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hope not

A leaky headgasket is what im most afraid of. If its headgasket problems wouldnt one of the symptons be smoke comnig from my car? Also my idle problem only happens when my engine is cold. After a while of driving and I start it up it doesnt happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I KNOW WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM BRO......IT IS YOUR MUFFLER PIPE.....................THERE IS A METAL THAT COVERS THE MUFFLER PIPE FROM THE HEADER TO THE END OF THE CAR..........WHAT I THINK HAPPENED IS THAT YOUR METAL COVER HAS LOSSENED AND COVERED THAT PIECE (i dont know what is the name but its the piece that has fenders , its at the front part of the pipe)

make sure u take this metal off or screw it back .......i think 90% thats the problem........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys

You guys are quick. How are the rads on ebay the Koyo ones? The previous owner I know changed the rad before I guess it'll have to be done again. Anyone know where to get a good metal rad online? Thanks

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
In a nutshell....

My car had the same symptoms you described. I tried everything to fix under the sun for 8 months, and then I finally replaced the head gasket. While it was in the shop, my mechanic noticed that I had a cracked block. That was last thursday and friday, and my car is not out yet. Take it to a shop to do either-compression test, or an exhuast gas test. They might be indicators or may not be. You could just have a bit of air in your system, which would cause your sensors to go all wacky (idle fluctuating). However this air could be from a leaky HG......I wish you good luck:)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I got mine through ebay (80 bucks, woooo hooo!!!). The name of the comapny is ace radiators. All the connections were they were supossed to be, so it was a perfect fit. There's also www.radiators.com but it's a little more expensive. But they guarantee their rads for fit and workmanship. Go to a mechanic shop and have them use the tool I told u, it should b free, it only takes a couple of minutes. if they gonna charge u than call around, someone would do u the favor. If it's not leaking than now u know wot the other problems could b. Good luck! ;)
Latin.....................

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
samir said:
I KNOW WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM BRO......IT IS YOUR MUFFLER PIPE.....................THERE IS A METAL THAT COVERS THE MUFFLER PIPE FROM THE HEADER TO THE END OF THE CAR..........WHAT I THINK HAPPENED IS THAT YOUR METAL COVER HAS LOSSENED AND COVERED THAT PIECE (i dont know what is the name but its the piece that has fenders , its at the front part of the pipe)

make sure u take this metal off or screw it back .......i think 90% thats the problem........
Dude, those are heat shields to prevent excess heat from entering the cabin. They don't effect anything mechnically and when they rust they rattle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
BECAUSE IT DID HAPPEN TO ME

I KNOW .......BUT THAT WHAT HAPPENED TO MY CAR ................I HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH THE OVERHEAT AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF.........I CHANGED HEAD GASKET , AND IT STILL DIDNT WORK ......FINALLY WHEN I WAS UPGRADING MY RIMS , MY MECHANIC NOTICED THAT THE FRONT SO CALLED "SHEILD" WAS ON TOP OF THE PIECE THAT CONNECTS BETWEEN THE HEADER AND THE MUFFLER PIPE

WHEN HE TOOK IT OFF................NO MORE PROBLEMS

·
502MotorSports.com
9,296 Posts
Re: BECAUSE IT DID HAPPEN TO ME

samir said:
I KNOW .......BUT THAT WHAT HAPPENED TO MY CAR ................I HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH THE OVERHEAT AND ALL THAT GOOD STUFF.........I CHANGED HEAD GASKET , AND IT STILL DIDNT WORK ......FINALLY WHEN I WAS UPGRADING MY RIMS , MY MECHANIC NOTICED THAT THE FRONT SO CALLED "SHEILD" WAS ON TOP OF THE PIECE THAT CONNECTS BETWEEN THE HEADER AND THE MUFFLER PIPE

WHEN HE TOOK IT OFF................NO MORE PROBLEMS
errrr

stop yelling please....:) ( Caps Lock Off)

that heat shield has no , repeat, no relation to your radiator overheating or idle...if your mechanic told you that...you NEED a new mechanic...I would go for the little stuff first....

1 - thermostat
2 - radiator (flush if possible first)
3 - check for air in cooling system
4 - HG (damn, last case scenario)

And I am talking from experience, I have replaced EVERYTHING on my LEgend...from the radiator to the tranny to the motor (Type II vs Type I)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: Re: BECAUSE IT DID HAPPEN TO ME

LeGeNdZ_4_LiFe said:

errrr

stop yelling please....:) ( Caps Lock Off)

that heat shield has no , repeat, no relation to your radiator overheating or idle...if your mechanic told you that...you NEED a new mechanic...I would go for the little stuff first....

1 - thermostat
2 - radiator (flush if possible first)
3 - check for air in cooling system
4 - HG (damn, last case scenario)

And I am talking from experience, I have replaced EVERYTHING on my LEgend...from the radiator to the tranny to the motor (Type II s Type I)
I agree with Legendz 4 Life's post, but would also check the thermoswitch before the head gasket.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts