Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to check out the underneath of my car (94) today while i was getting my wheels rotated and i noticed a black glue/tar substance slowly leaking from my timing belt case. It isn't all that liquidy like oil or anything, however, it does look like a leak. Just got my timing belt replaced last week from the dealer. Anyone know what it could be? I'm thinking its just some protective glue or sealant that was recently applied and probably melted?
I'm gonna call the dealer and ask him wot the **** he did to my car after all that $$ i paid him !
Just wanted to know your thoughts on what it could be.

thanks,

mahesh

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was trying to figure out the same thing but no luck. I notice the same thing when i have my car on the lift to change out the rear tranny mount. If you are able to figure out what this leaky stuff is, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just noticed the same thing on my car....it's got 112K on it, the 90K service was done on time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think I know the answer

I believe you have a leak from your camshaft oil seal. If you take the plastic covers of your timing belts, and look behind the to camshaft gears and the crankshaft, you will probably find the source of the leak. I think the tar is baked oil. The fact that its hardened, means its probably a very slow leak. I have it two. the two camshaft oil seals are pretty cheap. I am going to fix mine when I change the timing belt.

·
has left the building
7,205 Posts
Not to worry...

That tar-like substance that you are seeing is the coating for the crank angle sensor that has melted and run down the front of the block. I'm told that it is perfectly normal for that to happen and that it is not operation-affecting. FYI, I installed a new CAS last year at about 140K miles and the new one did the same thing within a week. It's all good---- :D :D :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, stevieray hit the nail on the head.

I called my dealer and he said the same thing. If it were a cam shaft leak or something of that nature, there would be oil on the ground and it wouldn't leak slowly nor would it look like tar/glue.

Alls well that ends well :D

Thanks stevieray :)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Re: Not to worry...

stevieray said:
That tar-like substance that you are seeing is the coating for the crank angle sensor that has melted and run down the front of the block. I'm told that it is perfectly normal for that to happen and that it is not operation-affecting. FYI, I installed a new CAS last year at about 140K miles and the new one did the same thing within a week. It's all good---- :D :D :D
This is right on! I found the same thing after my headgasket repair. The only difference is that my car would not fire up after i took the CAS sensor off and reinstalled it. I had to replace it to get the car to start. I CAN cause issues but only once it has been removed once.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.