Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem kind of silly, but has anyone ever blacked-out their chrome on a coupe? I've got a black coupe and looking at it tonight in the dusk and there's only a few bright chrome pieces that stand out. I thought it might be kind of fun to experiment with doing something (temporarily) to make the chrome black and check out the appearance of the car. Ideally, I would like to be able to hose or wash it off afterwards - any ideas on what should I use?

·
Registered
734 Posts
My homeboy tried that on a 91 Maxima he had. If i'm not mistaken he used what looked to be magic marker. It came right off with no problems.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I'll try that. I might bring it to the Legend meet at Tysons if I can get away.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Mark Yuen and Alexander have succesfully blacked out the chrome trim on the outer edges of their doors using this special durable black-out tape.
I had some but it's a pain to get it to get it to bend on the curvy portions.
I think I got mine off of autobarn.com.
Can't remember the exact name of the tape though.

·
Registered
851 Posts
acuralegend.com said:
Mark Yuen and Alexander have succesfully blacked out the chrome trim on the outer edges of their doors using this special durable black-out tape.
I had some but it's a pain to get it to get it to bend on the curvy portions.
I think I got mine off of autobarn.com.
Can't remember the exact name of the tape though.
No no.............., mine is painted black......., I repeat, painted black! hehehhee.......... Mark, yes, it's black taped. It might work, but paint is the best solution.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Alexander said:

No no.............., mine is painted black......., I repeat, painted black! hehehhee.......... Mark, yes, it's black taped. It might work, but paint is the best solution.
Hey Alex, what kind of paint did you use on your emblems? Did it come out good? also what kind of prep work did you do before painting? Thanks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hmm......... I didn't paint the emblem of my car, because I had no emblems at all at my car. And, about the chrome molding of my car. I don't know. The bodyshop paint all of them for me. But, this is my understanding on painting chrome. You need to sand them off completely, or at least roughen the chrome, and you can just use any spray paint that you can find. As long as the surface is clean, the paint should stick fine. But I might be wrong, because I never painted one at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts