Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i've printed out a copy of how to bleed the cooling system by mike diaz and the problem is when i start the bleeding method i fill up the overflow to max, open bleeder valve, fill coolant to the top in radiator...start the car, i see bubbles comming out of the bleeder valve and coolant from the radiator go down...now this sounds pretty normal to me.

once the car starts to get to warm up the top of my radiator starts to overflow..i can feel my upper hose get warm but my lower hose is still cold. i can see because of this issue that is why my overflow tank is overflowing...seems like its not even circulating.

i have not flushed the system as of yet, but i would like to know other possible things i could try first before concluding with a HG problem.

soo..any ideas?
-------------------------EDIT
I have replaced the thermostat, upper and lower hoses, running honda type 2 coolant

·
FIXER
1,720 Posts
You are not following the bleeding procedure correctly. Do not start the engine until after the air has been bled out and the bleeder closed.

Make sure you are doing the bleeding procedure properly.

Do this:
first, with the ignition on, turn the heat to full hot(opens the heater control valve to let coolant flow). *********Do not start engine
1. Open bleeder at thermostat housing and remove radiator cap(not resivoir cap).
2. Pour coolant into radiator until a steady stream of coolant without bubbles comes out bleeder. This could take several minutes. *Engine not running*
*I use a tall funnel that fits tightly into the radiator opening. By holding the funnel tightly into the radiator and overfilling the radiator about 6 inches up the funnel I can put a head pressure on the coolant and this will force coolant and air out the bleeder .
3. Close bleeder.
4. Leave rad cap off and start engine. As engine warms up top off coolant as air burps out.
5. Massage upper radiator hose to help get air out.*CAUTION COOLANT IS HOT AND WILL BURN YOU* if you squeeze the hose too hard and coolant splashes out on your arm.
6. When engine reaches normal temp it should be good to go. Install radiator cap.
7. fill coolant resivoir to proper level.
8. Drive vehicle and monitor temp. After engine cools down completely remove rad cap and top off if necessary.
* If its low again and you are sure there are no leaks, you probably have a leaking headgasket.

If your cooling system has no issues leaks, BHG, ect.... this procedure is simple and easy.

·
MAD DOG!
1,673 Posts
how long do you have it on while its overflowing.... you tried just waiting till the thermostat to open before you conclude theres a problem... every car ive ever bleed overfills a lil until the thermostat opens. sometimes you just have to rev it to stop the cavitation. if still takes forever id let it sit for a while then bleed again.... then get a hydrocarbon tester and see if it is a HG...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.