Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this was the first amp that I had ever owned and I bought it just learning about car audio. I have learned quite a bit since then and just today learned I think something that really makes me feel more so complete.

Anyways, I originally had an Infinity Perfect 12.1 hooked up to it running at 4ohms bridged, which was giving it 552W (what the amp came rated at). I never knew this though, I didn't understand what bridged meant so I thought that I was only getting more like 275W which is a far cry from the Infinity Recomended 350W RMS. So I decided to purchase a Infinity Perfect 12.1D which is the Dual voice coil version of the perfect that I had before. I did this because I found a way to sell my other sub and plus I really felt that I was in need of extra power if I was under the RMS. So I got the new sub, wired it down to 2 ohms and thought that I was now getting 552W when I was actually forcing it to put out more like 1000W :eek:. Today was the first hot day that we have had this year in Seattle (probably about 70 degrees). I was cruising down town to check out the scene cause there are always beautiful girls out, and I start hearing a god awful noise coming from my trunk. At first I thought that my sub was blow but after hooking it up to my home theater system, and realizing that it was fine I started to analyze it some more.

I now realize that I was pushing my amp to run bridged at 2ohms which is way out of spec causing my 360W amp rated at 552W to put out somewhere over 1000W. Anyways, I had the amp for more than a year, and am happy with what it did. Now I just have the chance to upgrade to something better.

I'm going to be ordering a new Phoenix gold QX900.1d tomorrow probably. Now I know that this one is 2ohms stable at 900Wx1 ;). Thank god for that too, cause another blown amp is not something I need on my budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
Hey, well I don't know if to say sorry about blowing your amp or congrats on getting a new one;) .
If you are getting rid of the fosgate let me know if you want to sell your end caps (if it is the older style) I bought an amp (fosgate 250aII) off a member and it came with NO endcap's, screws, nothing, well actually a crap load of foam in it:mad: :mad: :mad: (as you can tell I am not happy with the deal at all, got ripped for over $500.00CAD with shipping and stuff.
Anyways, if you are interested and it is the older style I could pay you for the whole amp for all the parts I need.
Let me know,
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Sorry to hear about your amp and i also have something to ask.

Well, i have a 800.2 fosgate amp. If i bridge the amp, wouldn't that just be a stable 800 watts rms at four ohm going to my sub? Would that be too much for my two 12" HX2 that i'm running along with it?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be to much. Cause if you bridged your amp and then ran it in parallel you would be down at 1 ohm due to the fact that bridging cuts the ohms in half (wish I knew this before).

About the end caps, mine is the newer style unless there is some NEWER syle that I don't know about.



Let me know if that is what you are interested. I'm going to be putting the amp up on ebay as a blown amp here pretty soon, I have everything since I bought it new.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got my new Phoenix Gold QX900.1d. It says 1100Wx1 at 2ohms on the box. But then in the manual it says 900Wx1 @ 2 ohms. Anyways, its more than enough power for my application with my 2ohm Infinity Perfect 12 DVC.

Here's a picture of it on my bed :D (I think I may sleep with it tonight) lol:

I would have it installed in my car, but I had to leave it at school in the Paint booth tonight cause I have it all masked off ready to paint the sideskirts tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Whast up man

SpeedDemon said:
That would be to much. Cause if you bridged your amp and then ran it in parallel you would be down at 1 ohm due to the fact that bridging cuts the ohms in half (wish I knew this before).

About the end caps, mine is the newer style unless there is some NEWER syle that I don't know about.



Let me know if that is what you are interested. I'm going to be putting the amp up on ebay as a blown amp here pretty soon, I have everything since I bought it new.
How much do you want for the amp and all?
pm or email me.

-Will-
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, get this.... The amp actually isn't blown :cool:. I'm looking at this in a positive way, I'm going to use that RF360.2 as a amp for some new components up front. I'm looking at getting some MB Quart PSD 216's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
DrEemAr gUy said:
Sorry to hear about your amp and i also have something to ask.

Well, i have a 800.2 fosgate amp. If i bridge the amp, wouldn't that just be a stable 800 watts rms at four ohm going to my sub? Would that be too much for my two 12" HX2 that i'm running along with it?
I have the same amp and subs. I'm running the speakers at 2 ohms per channel on the amp. Sounds great. If you bridge the amp, wouldn't that make it run at 1 ohm? The 800.2 wasn't meant for this.

This this site out for speaker and amp ohm configurations.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spkrmlti.htm
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyway you look at it..... if you take 2 ohms and bridge it then it turns to 1 ohm. Or better put:
Bridging cuts the ohms 1/2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,430 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Ok, get this.... The amp actually isn't blown :cool:. I'm looking at this in a positive way, I'm going to use that RF360.2 as a amp for some new components up front. I'm looking at getting some MB Quart PSD 216's.
BAH!!! FOCALS!!! DYNES!!! GET THOSE!!! Hey, it would be running you around the same price anyway.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top