Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day as I was driving the transmision light (D4) started blinking. What does this mean? is this a service reminder?

1991 Legend LS coup
with 62000 miles.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
It means your transmission has registered a trouble code and it is stored in the transmission ECU. It could be a number of problems, but with mileage at 62K, it is more than likely (Or at least hopefuly) the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) going bad. You might be wondering why the VSS might trigger a tranny code, but the transmission reads the VSS to determine when to shift properly, so that is why. Taking it to the dealer to read teh code will give you a definate answer. If your VSS is indeed starting to go bad, than don't be alarmed when your speedometer needle starts acting wierd, and yout check engine light may even turn on. The ckeck engine light also says there is a code stored, and in this case it will also be a VSS code. However, like I said, get the code read from the dealer, as you want to make sure it is not a serious tranny problem as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thaks for the info, the speedometer has already started to be jerky and sometimes it does not even work. I gues I have to pay the dealer to get a fix.

Is the speedometer acting up a diffinit sign that it is the VSS sensor? if so is it an urgent thing to fix?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Most Legends, I would say 60% of them, have their VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensors) go bad once in their lifetime. If your needle is jumping around or not reading, this is a definate sign that the prob you have is a VSS gone bad. I replaced mine about 2 weeks ago, after driving with it bad on/off for about 2 months.

·
Registered
393 Posts
ChrisK said:
It means your transmission has registered a trouble code and it is stored in the transmission ECU. It could be a number of problems, but with mileage at 62K, it is more than likely (Or at least hopefuly) the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) going bad. You might be wondering why the VSS might trigger a tranny code, but the transmission reads the VSS to determine when to shift properly, so that is why. Taking it to the dealer to read teh code will give you a definate answer. If your VSS is indeed starting to go bad, than don't be alarmed when your speedometer needle starts acting wierd, and yout check engine light may even turn on. The ckeck engine light also says there is a code stored, and in this case it will also be a VSS code. However, like I said, get the code read from the dealer, as you want to make sure it is not a serious tranny problem as well.
I KNOW my speed sensor is going out 'cause my speedo has been going on the fritz and last night my D4 light started blinking and I threw it into Neutral to save face but didn't work. Then the check engine light came on so I got off the interstate and turned it off to let it sit for a few minutes. That alleviated all the problems though. :rolleyes: I'm bringing 'er in Wed. for a check-up/tune-up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts