Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a hole about 2" x 1/2" in my block behinde the crank pully because i used a chizel to get my timing cover off since the pulley was siezed, accidently punched a hole in the aluminum right above the oil pan.
I plan on JB welding it tomorrow.

Does anyone know the tempeture and psi of the block right there? it should be the same psi and temp of the oil pan. The oil pressure is like 78psi at 3000rpm but im guessing thats for the pump and not the pan area.. i dont see why there would be any pressure in the pan its self except for steam.. I think the block is around 200-250 F too but not sure.. most oil oxidizes at 250 degrees i think??? so it shouldnt be more than that right?

I got jb weld and jb stick, i plan on using the stick to fill the hole after it cures use jb weld and steel screen patch for the outside of the hole. the stick handles 250f continously up to 300 for short periods and the weld handles up to 700f

I'd actually weld it if i could but i cant

· Registered
1,639 Posts
Is the hole you punched in the oil pump right above the oil pan rail?

If this is the case, you only need to be concerned that the JB Weld will seal the hole. I'm going to assume that you didn't punch a hole in any part of the oil pump that sees oil pressure. The cranckcase won't be pressurized if your PCV system is working properly.

I don't think you'll have any issues with the JB Weld standing up to normal engine temperatures. However, there is always the possibilty that the JB Weld can fall off. Now you'll have a big oil leak.

I would scare up another oil pump and install it.

I've sealed cranckcase covers of motorcycles with JB Weld, but only because a replacement cover was not available.

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the hole is flush with the oil pan mating surface going horizontally, no part of the pump was harmed. im probably only gona use the jb to hold a seal and see if my car even runs after replacing a bent rod, then take it somewhere to actually be welded. My pcv system has been disabled but i have a high flow filter on each head venting the pressure out. i doubt anymore than 5psi could build in it if any could build up before being vented.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Time for a new motor.

JB Weld doesnt hold aluminum well, trust me I've seen many storys like this end up in disaster.

JDM Motor $300-500 depending on location.

Fix it right, its a legend for godshake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.