Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home the other day my car started smoking and overheating, and I opened the hood to find a hole in my upper radiator hose spewing coolant. I taped it up and made it home, and have since replaced it with a new length of hose.
The test drive afterward seemed normal. My question is, do radiator hoses just pop or do I have something to worry about? I replaced a stuck thermostat about a month ago that could have damaged the system. The hose actually burst right after I had to brake really hard as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Did I post this in the wrong forum or something? Anyway today's drive did not go well. I tried bleeding the coolant and nothing seemed to happen, I'm not sure that coolant was circulating at all. My OEM hose is in the mail but the generic one I got is bent in a way that it could restrict flow. It overheated and I had to limp home. I am thinking something went wrong that caused the hose to burst in the first place. I don't even know if it can make it to a shop, how do I troubleshoot this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replace the hose with OEM. Drain the radiator fluid and replace with OEM Acura coolant from the dealer. It's blue. Make sure your reservoir tank is full with OEM fluid as well and check to make sure the tank is not dirty. Drive around a little bit and top off the radiator. There's a bleeder screw somewhere that you can unscrew a little bit to make sure the fluid is moving around the entire cooling system. These cars have overheating issues and you have to make sure everything is done right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replace the hose with OEM. Drain the radiator fluid and replace with OEM Acura coolant from the dealer. It's blue. Make sure your reservoir tank is full with OEM fluid as well and check to make sure the tank is not dirty. Drive around a little bit and top off the radiator. There's a bleeder screw somewhere that you can unscrew a little bit to make sure the fluid is moving around the entire cooling system. These cars have overheating issues and you have to make sure everything is done right.
I plan to replace everything with OEM when it arrives as this was just a quick attempt to get it back on the road, but I honestly don't expect it to resolve the issue. I get the impression something has broken for these symptoms to suddenly appear after months of problem-free driving.
So far I've ruled out the fans (I can hear them after the car is turned off) and the thermostat (genuine Acura <4 mo old). The fact that opening the bleed valve did nothing, that it was overheating regardless of speed and RPM, and that coolant levels stayed the same when I tried to bleed it makes me think that coolant isn't being circulated for some reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I'm an idiot. The radiator looked full but was actually bone dry. I filled and bled it, runs great now. I'm still nervous that something else caused the hose to blow in the first place. I replaced the radiator cap and rented a pressure tester which revealed no leaks. As I understand it if my pump had gone I'd be leaking which I'm not, if my thermostat was stuck I'd still be overheating which I'm not, so, just a 180K mile old hose? Can I breathe easy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, so I'm an idiot. The radiator looked full but was actually bone dry. I filled and bled it, runs great now. I'm still nervous that something else caused the hose to blow in the first place. I replaced the radiator cap and rented a pressure tester which revealed no leaks. As I understand it if my pump had gone I'd be leaking which I'm not, if my thermostat was stuck I'd still be overheating which I'm not, so, just a 180K mile old hose? Can I breathe easy?

You should be fine now. The main thing is to keep an eye on the coolant levels. Don't forget about the reservoir. If you pay attention to that and change the oil regularly these cars can go 300k miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts