Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have some rust spots on my sedan, the usual places near the rear wheel wells. I would liek to repair it and I need some advice. I took it to one shop and they said it will cost a lot and be a big job because they will paint the whole fender after fixing it. I would like to repair it, but I dont want to waste a fortune on it. Is there a way I can do it myself, maybe sand it down and then use some antirust sutff and paint it over somehow? I just dont want it to get worse then it already is. Any advice woudl be appreciated.

I actually also have a leak on the drivers side (following picture), I cannot figure out where it is coming from; any advice on that would be apreciated as well.

Thanks in advance.

· ¿HöNdÄ LëGëNd¿
900 Posts
ya LS92Sedan is right the best way to fix it is to either buy a new fender or cut out the rusted part and weld a new piece on there and use undercoating on the inside of the fender so it doesnt rust again. if you just sand it and cover it up there is a big chance it will just come back. believe me i work at a bodyshop and i see that stuff all the time don't get me wrong i know your just tryin to save money like everyone else but somtimes it's just better to take it somewhere to get it fixed right and with a gurantee. or you may spend more money than you original thought of spendin, cuz it's gotta be done again if you do it yourself or don't do it right.

· Registered
292 Posts
Your body is not bad at all. As far as the cost goes, it depends where you are and who you know. It's kinda hard to see the extent from just photos. I'd say if you were in a small town in the midwest it would cost $200 to $400.

· ¿HöNdÄ LëGëNd¿
900 Posts
ok well your probably lookin at ABOUT 12 hrs labor and ABOUT 4 hrs of paint maybe with everything like cutting, welding, bondo, sanding, primer, and paint. and we charge $38 an hr for labor and $22 an hr for paint
so about. your looking at about $500 rough estimate it also depends on how much the shops labor and paint prices are cuz some charge more or less. you should probably just run by your local shop and see if you could get a estimate and make sure they have a gurantee on the work they do. you don't want to get ripped off or have it happen again in like a yr or 2. But a good word of advice. shop around for the best price and guarantee

· Looking for Blk/Bk GS6MT
1,354 Posts
Check this thread out before you do anything. I did some rust repair on the same "honda" rust that you have.

This link has something like what you are doing.

Click this -

Also, I would pull out the rubber strips in your fenders. They collect water and cause rust.

· Looking for Blk/Bk GS6MT
1,354 Posts
svolach said:
I am confused as to which rubber strips you are talking about, does anyone have an exact picture?
This is a picture of the rubber strips:

· Registered
10 Posts
Hey Svolach- NISMO 240 is on the money with what to do- try and find a used fender-you can try to fix the existing fender, but once rust opens up a panel like that, your undercoating (primer and etch) is begining to suffer and while the paint looks good on the outside, what is under is begining to die a slow death. If you are selling the car in 6 months, go the cheap route, but if your are going to keep it for a while, do it right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.