Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out I have rusted thru on my sedan. It is in the rear where the fender meets the side skirt. I was looking at it and pushed and it went thru. What are my options? Is this expensive t fix? I was taking my car to the shop soon to get a bodykit put on so I can do it at the same time. Thanks

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
if you are going to keep the car you will likely need to replace the quarter panel. If you just bondo it the rust will come back within 6 months. A new quarter panel is about $650 or so and then you need to install and paint/blend....I would guess about $1500 or so at a min. If you can get a used (in good condition) quarter panel you might save $400 or so depending on who is doing the work.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WHAT ABOUT WELDING IN A NEW PIECE OF METAL?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Blo said:
WHAT ABOUT WELDING IN A NEW PIECE OF METAL?
That's what he's talking about. Cutting your old and rusted quarter panel, and replacing it with the brand new or pristine condition quarter panel.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Blo said:
I just found out I have rusted thru on my sedan. It is in the rear where the fender meets the side skirt. I was looking at it and pushed and it went thru. What are my options? Is this expensive t fix? I was taking my car to the shop soon to get a bodykit put on so I can do it at the same time. Thanks
How badly thru is it?
My car is rusted in the same place, but it hasn't gone thru yet. But I have another spot that is thru. I went to a body shop on Ann st. and 1st st. I forgot what the name was called. Anyways the Acura and Honda dealers contracts them to do work for the usual Honda/Acura rust spots. Call Ann Arbor Acura for Howard Cooper Honda and ask them who does body work for them, and they'll tell you. They quoted me $400 for both spots. They said they would strip and repaint the non-thru spot and weld a peice of metal in the thru spot. That was last summer, but then my license got suspended, so I never went back for the appointment. I'm definitely taking it back there this summer.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Your description of the location appears to be the area inside of the outer wheelhouse where the wheelhouse meets the inner/outer rocker panel (the outer rocker panel appears to have a lower quarter panel extension as part of its design). Repair would depend upon extent of the rust out. I would suspect that since the outer rocker panel is rusted through that the inner panel is also damaged. So to might be the "dog leg" of the uniside rear section. If all the above is damaged, it would probably be best to buy a used rear section. The uniside panel would be cut in the middle of the lower door opening, the middle of the rear pillar, through the package shelf and would extend through the floor pan area back through the rocker panel into a few inches of the floor pan and then back through the trunk. The replacement unit would then have to have the spot welds removed in order to separate the individual sheetmetal/structural members. This is a worse case. You might be lucky and only require that a couple of patches be welded into place. The problem with rust is it is like an iceberg; what you see is only a quarter of the damage. Just the new OEM parts alone will be close to $1,000.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LPB said:
Just the new OEM parts alone will be close to $1,000.
Say it aint so:eek:

Anyways the Acura and Honda dealers contracts them to do work for the usual Honda/Acura rust spots. Call Ann Arbor Acura for Howard Cooper Honda and ask them who does body work for them, and they'll tell you. They quoted me $400 for both spots.
Ross beaks? I might stop over there

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Blo said:

Ross beaks? I might stop over there
I think so, but call the acura dealer just to make sure though. If you go, tell me how it went, thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts