Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Road Trip King
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you will remember, I'm going to be competing in a road race in the Legend. The event, called the Bonneville 100, is slated for next Saturday. In it, I will race against other drivers in a time trial of sorts. My speed class is the 100 mph class, but there are classes up to unlimited. The winner is whoever completes the 100-mile course (50 down and 50 back) with the closest average speed to his or her target speed. Here is a thread I made about it before I got registered.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=99695

The race is on Nevada Highway 93A, which will be completely closed for the event. I drove from Phoenix to Salt Lake City last night (11 hours) and went to check out the course firsthand today. It is located in the barren Nevada desert, about 2 hours west of Salt Lake, and near the famed Bonneville Salt Flats -- where land speed records have been made and broken throughout decades. The landscape is so interesting: flat as far as the eye can see, except for mountains in the distance. You can literally just drive onto the salt. I stopped by for some pictures this afternoon.

One of the straightaways on the course. There are a couple of these, but there are also some very technical curves where I am definitely going to pray that my stock 289k-mile suspension holds up. I was running the curves at around 85-90 mph today in my trial run (the road is still open to the public and I don't need a ticket), and it was challenging at times. The beauty of it is that I can make up time on the straightaways and not have to blast through the tightest corners, hopefully.

I wasn't 100% well behaved on today's trial run as far as speed's concerned. If you look in my photobucket album you'll see an example of why.

Random shot from the road, there is literally nothing out there for miles and miles.

This is the truck stop/gas station at the junction of Hwy 93 and Hwy 93A where the halfway point of the race is, before turning back for the second leg.

Race Prep

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been making a lot of preparations for the race. I picked up a Garmin GPS III unit that monitors and displays actual speed, average speed, and distance traveled. It will come in handy for the race, as I will need to be accurate to the tenth of a mile per hour. I also was required to mount a 2.5 pound fire extinguisher in the coupe. Not wanting to do anything permanent, I removed the backseat, and found a perfect location on a raised portion toward the front of the metal underneath. Four small screws did the trick nicely.

As can be expected, I have to have good tires with the correct speed rating, operational seat belts, and lots of driver and passenger equipment (helmets, shoes, gloves, long-sleeved shirts). One observation about the GPS: I have discovered that my speedometer is off by 1-2 mph on the higher end of the speedo. If it says I'm going 90 mph, I'm really only doing 88. I am running stock size wheels and tires. I verified that the GPS is accurate on another car, so I find it interesting that the Legend speedometer is so off. Glad I found that out so I can make up for it during the race.

I am going to attempt to see if the tech inspectors will let me mount the Sticky Pod on the inside of the back window for the event. The angle is perfect; I tried it earlier this week.

Test vid:

http://files.filefront.com/Drivingwmv/;7625825;/fileinfo.html

Other randomness

Interesting motel in Wendover, NV -- near where the race starts.

Last night's sunset in Arizona, northbound Highway 89

T-minus 1 week to race day.

:rave:

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
How come you didn't hit me up I would have met you out there.

·
emayex.com
1,976 Posts
love that first pic tyson, im sure you'll kick ass at the race!

·
Banned
14,692 Posts
nniice pics!! i also have a garmin nuvi300 in my coupe and at 70mph (on the speedo) i'm actually going 66mph, however on 225/50zr16's.

·
Blackend Motorsports
4,166 Posts
Oh snap! I forgot to let you borrow my helmet in Vegas! Did you get one, or do you need me to FedEx it to you?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Loves the pix like always; cant wait to see ya down in Texas this summer. :thumbsup: Know youll do amazing in the race, good luck

·
Spiral descent
5,004 Posts
Cool Ty.
It's nice to see some pics of that area, now I know I didn't miss much going through there. You should be fine on those curves, just do what you said you're gonna do.
The speedo being off is very normal, not just on Legends either.

Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Good luck Tyson! +1 for putting the GS wheels back on. What is that plastic cover in the back seat and how do I get one for my car?

·
Road Trip King
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How come you didn't hit me up I would have met you out there.
Hey Trey, this was a quick trip (already flew back to Phoenix this morning and left the coupe in SLC) and I wasn't sure what my schedule would be like, so I didn't give anyone the heads up that I was coming. I'll be in Wendover all day Friday and most of Saturday next weekend, though. You should come out and visit!
We are all cheering for you!
Thanks for the support everyone. The only thing I lack is a giant acura-legend.com decal on my windows, but I'll sport the Acura shirt and do my best to represent us :).
do you need me to FedEx it to you?
I've got the helmet situation covered now! Found an extra from a fellow race participant. Thanks though!
lame video....mine are more "spirited"
Like I said, the video was a test run, purely to verify that the angle was good. Besides, how spirited am I supposed to get in 6 lanes of congested interstate traffic? Trust me, there are better things in store.
What is that plastic cover in the back seat and how do I get one for my car?
lol, the plastic on the carpet? That's the stuff the dealership uses on their used cars. I borrowed some from a friend of mine. Actually I used to have plastic covering my entire interior! I have since gotten quite a bit more conservative about it :).
So that stuff is... salt? not sand?
Right you are. Probably not suitable to just scoop up and start eating, but yeah it's salt. You have to be careful about what time of year you go driving on the flats, as I've heard there can be standing pools of water out there that you'll never see. Can you imagine the corrosion that would take place if you went splashing salt water all over the place? The thought makes me shudder.
grind GRIND grind!!!!
1 3 5
2 4 6 R
You be nice to the coupe! Go wash the bugs off it, then put it in the garage until I get there on Thursday!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
good luck.

i think you need a van for a legend pit crew just in case!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts