Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a question how much hp gain do you think my car would get if i bored my engine to a 3.5liter. and then port and polished it? i always wanted to do this to get some mad hp but want to know actually how much hp i would be get. has anyone port and polished or bored their engine. also anyone know how much this would cost? i was thinking of doing this after nopi . i will be getin probaly 4k after nopi.

p.s. everyone get there shiet ready for nopi its coming soon. just a couple of months away. i want to see a legend wit bags. and some kitted out legends and the first actual legend with 20s with some minor modification done to make them fit.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
I don't know how much HP you would get, but if you do this, look into using some 3.5 RL parts. It has been discussed before and seems plausible to use the RL parts, but no one has done it yet.

·
B**k F***er
2,642 Posts
Boring it out to 3.5 is not how the RL engine was done. The block is the same in the 3.5 RL as in the 3.2 c32a. The RL engine instead has a modified crank shaft and connecting rods to adjust the stroke. It's stroked from 3.2 to 3.5 to increase low-end torque but in turn hurts horsepower and lowers RPMs. If you do this I wouldn't look into using RL parts. You will need custom pistons and rings and your heads modified along with custom head gaskets. Though if you increase the bore you incrase the overall size of the bore hence giving more room for larger valves so you can put larger valves in. Then a P&P on top of that will make a mean ass engine :D

·
B**k F***er
2,642 Posts
PSA said:
Or no engine at all. I'm surprised at you Nick, once you bore out those sleves, how do you think the rings will work with an aluminium block.
D'Oh! Overlooked that minor little thing. Hehe :p

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the hybrid RL idea has alot of potential. In my opinion, the gain in low-end torque would justify the loss in horspower. The horsepower could be built back up by good airflow (intake,headers,exhaust). The low end is where are cars are weak and shifting the power band lower would be of benefit. I didn't know the RL had the same block, but different stroke setup. I am going to consider this type of mod as well. More low end torque and a higher stall converter could set you up for a wicked launch.

·
B**k F***er
2,642 Posts
The RL only has 21 more lb/tq than a Type I does. What you are talking about is some MAJOR work for 21lb/tq and some lost horsepower... Is it worth it???

Btw, don't quote me on the blocks being 100% identlicle between the RL and Legend. To the best of my knowledge they are the same blocks with different crankshafts and heads based on the Type I setup but I am not 100% certain.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think its worth looking into. I think 21 pounds of torque would be a nice gain. When you put it in conjunction with Headers, P+P, and an increase in the fuel system flow, it would make a nice overall gain. Its not just the gain, but where the gain is produced. I would rather have 21 pounds of torque at the low end rather than 21hp at 6500 RPM. Although the goal of my mods is to increase power and torque all along the RPM range, I think I am most interested in improving low end. I think the beauty of the idea is that the RL parts are available off the shelf. With zero aftermarket support, any other parts have to be custom made. If you can find someone to do it you it be will big $$$. I plan to do more research to get a better idea of what needs to be done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.