Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if anyone else has encountered this problem, but it seems that the cold weather has caused my speakers to sound fuzzy. I have a 93LS with the factory system. Its weird that once the heat gets going and the interior warms up, they sound fine. But, as soon as the car becomes cold again, the speakers sound blown. A mechanic told me that the system just corrodes over time (and the car is about 10 years old). Is this true? Well, I was just going to see if anyone else has heard of this and knows whats wrong.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I too agree with the cold & your mechanic

here is my post concerning distortion which although omni present, seemed to increase with cold weather. Hence, my fix during the winter.

I experienced the same problem you mention on my two front speakers (95 LS coupe).

Once I was able to view the speaker and isolate any distortion coming from the tweets or the speaker itself I noticed a good amount of dirt and debris had developed on the speaker with most accumulating on the rubber (closest to the outer edge). I noticed that if I depressed this area the static / distortion went away. With a rag and some WD-40, I cleaned this area and the static improved - I also decided to shoot some WD-40 directly on cardboard cone (for good measure I guess) and that solved my problem completely.

Excited at my zero cost fix, I quickly did the other side and was well on my way to enjoying music.

I have switched to POLKs all the way around - and the sound reproduction is SO MUCH BETTER than the stock speakers on a good day.

Anyone else agree? Comments?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll check that out. Also, has anyone heard of bose (speaker) repair kits. Ive seen them advestised on the internet and was just curious as whether or not they were legit.
Jay

·
Registered
864 Posts
Attn: KNLNGUS

Hey ya'll, Dude, KNLNGUS, I just bought some new Polk 6.5's they are the EX365's. I just got them like last week or sumpthin. and i saw the new EX3560's (all 6.5) and i was thinkin about gettin those. Have you heard them? Theyre a component set and sounded pretty awesome. Which ones are you running? I have a 89 Legend L Coupe. so i am assuming i'll mount the tweeters on the door panel from the side-view mirrors. What do you think? Theyre a lil more money but im down. Anyway, lemme know what you think i should get. i have a new Pioneer DEHp-6300 deck (the one with all the 'screen-savers') anyway. peace

-bryan
http://community.webshots.com/user/my_hot_legend
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm running EX602a (6 1/2) in the front and EX369 (6x9) in the rear.

I will say this - I really do like the look of tweets mounted higher on the door panel, but I wouldn't do this for sound because.... Though the sound waves coming from tweets are more directional.... On my setup, I actually had to step down the treble to equalize with the bass. I enjoy crisp, clean, and clear music with moderate bass (always) and depending upon the song - more bass. Just say'in you may be able to save the cash for a CAI or other mods.

I was impressed with POLK setup in an Acura Coupe before I decided to switch.

Good luck with your setup and let us know how it turned out.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
744 Posts
legend2die4, BTW, nice ride - lots of pics. Seems a tad barren round there - whereyaat? Is Nancy your skirt? Sean must have started using blassaunt early on, LMAO.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
864 Posts
LoL

KNLNGUS,

I took all those (32) pics about 20mins from my house, its right outside my town and up a Mt. road towards some lakes. I live in Southern Oregon, about 5 hrs south of Portland, and about 6 hours N. of San Fran. Its a nice area tho. We moved from Dallas about 6 years ago... Culture shock, but i love dallas. anyway...
LoL yah. My friends are pretty intetense huh? Nancy freaked out b/c she said she looked high in that pic. LoL Ya think? And sean... well, hes quite the interesting one, kinda strange. hehe, I love him tho! THat was @ my "surpirse" 18th b-day party. it was tons of fun. There are some pics i didnt post LoL. anyway....

Well, i went and checked out some JL Audio and some MB Quart seperates, i wasnt too into them. Like you, i am very picky on how the sound in my car is reproduced. I love Bose (not necesarily car systems like our G1's but the ones in new MB's and Cadi's rock!!!) so yah, wasnt to into the seperates, so i returned my Polk's and was walkin around and couldnt find what i wanted... SO i wandered over to Home audio / theatres and saw my new best friend(s). Sh*t, Bose says you cant do aftrmrkt systems with their products? BS! LoL I picked up a pair of Bose 201's (only ones that would fit on my rear deck!) they are in an enclosure already (wheh, accoustics in our cars.. and most all suck!!!!) and they have 6.5 woofers, and 2" tweeters. Not to bad. i love them. im powering them off my deck now (Pioneer DEH-P6300) and I will prolly throw in an amp soon. Anyway, wasnt sure how this new move would work. but its goin pretty well. I checked the ohm ratings and all is go. Im very very happy with my choice. couldnt find better car speakers then these. And im just starting! hah, thinkin about a 12" veloydyne next. Hah, i loveeeee my home audio. take care man
-bryan (i know, its ghetto!) :p

·
Registered
744 Posts
legend2die4,

Wait a minute, the 6.5" woofers and 2" tweeters from the home series 201s dropped into your rear deck enclosures w/o a hitch? Did you remove them from the bose case? Need more info.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
864 Posts
KNLNGUS:
No worries man! LoL I told you its ghetto! Hehe, I didnt remove the speakers from the box or anything some of the best technology from Bose is in their boxes. check out my web-page at the bottom, go to 'my legend' and it should be the last one... Theres a pic to help better see whas goin on. As i said, i wanted the bigger ones the ones with 8" woofers, a 2" tweet and another 3" tweet.. But they were just a lil to big for that rear deck. They sound freakin great. A 5 year warranty on em too. crazy huh? anyway, i know its kinda a weird idea. and all but it sounds good and i love seein the Bose logo in my rear-view hehe what do u think??? Goto a best buy or circuit city and listen to these guys. they freakin rock. and perfect sound balance. not too much of anything!

take care man

-bryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts