Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· dealer-opted track pack
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo,
My driver's side front bose speaker distorts any amount of bass.
If I set the fader to rear only, that speaker still distorts!
However, if i set the balance to the passenger side, it stops.

Do you think that's a problem with the headunit, amplifier or speaker?

k.h.

· Registered
417 Posts
If you search the Audio section, you'll find reference to a company that sells & services Bose audio equipment (I can't recall their name right now). From them, you can buy a diagnostic guide that will help narrow down what is wrong with your stereo. If you buy speakers or an amp from them, they credit you the cost of the guide. They are very helpful. I determined that my door speakers were bad. The symptom is that you hear a "bumble bee" sound - especially with spoken words. When I removed the grills & pushed lightly on the cone, I could feel the wire bobbin rubbing on the speaker magnet (not good). The speaker cones had warped and allowed the bobbin to move off-center. I ordered new Bose speakers from them & the problem was solved.

The guide also has tips on diagnosing a bad amp & head unit.

I thought I had their website bookmarked but I can't find it right now.

· Registered
90 Posts
my speaker system was totally out.. NO sound coming off from anything.. i am just wondering . how good the Bose system is???.. i mean if i get a pair of Sony speakers and HU.. would it sound just as good???..

· Registered
1,549 Posts
ALnut said:
my speaker system was totally out.. NO sound coming off from anything.. i am just wondering . how good the Bose system is???.. i mean if i get a pair of Sony speakers and HU.. would it sound just as good???..
The car is over 10 years old, and if you have to know that these bose systems have been known to have amp issues, there was a recall for it. Sony audio sound products have never been the best, imo. With my 91 sedan, I know my amp is out because there is no sound coming from the rear speakers but when tested they are fine.

· Fre OG
1,258 Posts
In my "new" 92 L sedan the rear speakers dont get any sound would u think it is the internal amp?

· Registered
503 Posts
Acura really screwed those of us with the Bose Premium in the fact that all of our components are 2 ohm. So any replacement pieces have to match that and they are very hard to come buy...:sad: In order to change anything in our systems we'd either have to find 2 ohm pieces or just replace the whole damn system. Our systems really don't sound that bad, they're just lacking in the bass department!!

· D'Nejel Ar-Ukca IIV/_\|<
1,243 Posts
my very basic (with respect to aftermarket standards) system blows my mother's '98 maxima GLE's Bose "premium" as well as my friend's '95 G2 Bose waaayy out the water...go to cardomain.com and get a new system (4chnl+seps+coax)...you'll be surprised how little it costs IF you shop judiciously...if a things are offered for msrp just wait till holiday season and then boom! They are mnfg. auth. for almost all the brands they deal with
ps - all comps and coaxs they sell are 4ohm so you won't have to worry about impedence with amp selections...no ebay, you don't want second rate vendors issuing warranties that they might not be in business to stand behind 18 months later....trust me...

· Registered
4,439 Posts
You can use 4 ohm speakers, you will just get half the watts. Contrary to popular beliefs, Bose produces some of the worst sounding electronics on the market. The system in the Legend is an exception. Put on Kind of Blue in a properly working stock Legend sound system and you will be surprised.

It is worth keeping the Bose system because aftermarket headunits look downright ugly in our car, and you will not get the same sound quality from Sony crap.

Of course, my opinion of sound quality differs from most. In a past life I was a high-end tube audio snob, you know, the kind that suspends their cables off the ground and listens to horns with 2 watts of power. So YMMV.

· Registered
90 Posts
i would guess so.. if it doesn't come with a bose AMP that's located in the back seats.. you should be fine with a after market stereo.

i thought Bose makes some great Audio stuffs base on those HOmesystems that they have... oo wells. guess i'll have to test it out before saying anything more..

one more thing.. for my LS.. do i have to take the back seat and stuff off to take out the rear speakers?? or can i just pop the cone covering it??

· Registered
1,696 Posts
you can remove the speaker grill. it might be hard if they havent been removed in a long time. best way to do it is either get your fingernails or a very flathead screwdriver and just lift on the back side of the grill(side nearest the rear window)

1,243 Posts
Grant said:
you can remove the speaker grill. it might be hard if they havent been removed in a long time. best way to do it is either get your fingernails or a very flathead screwdriver and just lift on the back side of the grill(side nearest the rear window)
do you have a bose setup?

1,243 Posts
arnach said:
Bose produces some of the worst sounding electronics on the market.
Nope! Sorry but, you gotta check out the Bose setup in my cousin's '99 MB S320, there is a WORLD of difference between our '98 Maxima GLE's Bose and this MB's. True the MB has atleast 3 or 4 more drivers than the Max but still even with only front ones working (which is how it is now - don't know why he's not getting it fixed) it still walks aaaalllllll over our Max's system!!!!
I LOVE loud systems (clean output ofcourse) he let me chill in it for a few days some time ago and that thing POUNDS clean w/just the front drivers working

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.