Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my new suspension on my car a little while ago which consists of Koni Shocks and Eibach Springs. I have the Konis set on the lowest perch and 1/2 turn from full soft. My bump stops are also cut in half.

My problem though is that when I go around some 90 degree turns pretty fast that slightly go u p hill I will occasionally bottom out. Also, if I go around a turn super fast and hit a little bump it will also cause me to bottom out.

Now my question is, how bad is this for the car? I enjoy the quality of my ride a lot but this can be annoying sometimes. I don't want to readjust the stiffness of my shocks right now because I just had everything aligned and if possible don't want to have to pay for this again right now. If I do take my suspension off what should I set the Konis to so that I don't bottom out at all, but still get a good ride like I have right now? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Bottoming out once in a blue moon won't kill you. My friend bottoms out all the time and it hasn't caused major problems, but his alignment is way off.

You may want to put the konis on the middle or even upper perch to possibly help prevent this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to raise my car. I would rather stiffen up the ride, IMO I would actually like it stiffer (I'm guessing 1 full turn from soft is right where I would want it), but It just takes so much time to adjust.

Would it be bad for me to only adjust the fronts stiffer and not the rears? The fronts actually aren't as hard as the rears it seemed, so I may be willing to do those, and plus I don't ever bottom out in the rear, just up front. I never bottom out though going straight and just hitting a bump in the road unless its a speedbump and I'm going a little to fast.

BTW, when I say bottom out, I don't mean scraping up the underbody of my car. I mean that I'm hitting my bumpstops and my shocks have reached their max distance that they will travel. Thanks for the help you guys.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
I don't want to raise my car. I would rather stiffen up the ride, IMO I would actually like it stiffer (I'm guessing 1 full turn from soft is right where I would want it), but It just takes so much time to adjust.

Would it be bad for me to only adjust the fronts stiffer and not the rears? The fronts actually aren't as hard as the rears it seemed, so I may be willing to do those, and plus I don't ever bottom out in the rear, just up front. I never bottom out though going straight and just hitting a bump in the road unless its a speedbump and I'm going a little to fast.

BTW, when I say bottom out, I don't mean scraping up the underbody of my car. I mean that I'm hitting my bumpstops and my shocks have reached their max distance that they will travel. Thanks for the help you guys.
Maybe you can cut your bump stop 3/4s instead of just half.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
infinite said:
Maybe you can cut your bump stop 3/4s instead of just half.
I was thinking that, but is that ok for the shocks? It seems like even when the bump stops are at 1/2 that they are still huge. Two of my friends who have both done suspension upgrades on their cars said that their bump stops were 1/4 the size of mine. One of them had a Integra and the other a Maxima. :confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I know this is a little off the subject of what you all are talking about but I have the eibach coilovers on my factory struts and they are KILLED... is it true that you have to buy longer strut sleeves (the threaded part that you use to adjust the coilover) to use the koni's... Also who sells the konis the cheapest???

Thanks in advance -Vito

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
Oh yeah, just wait until you get a hole in your A-pipe from bottoming out. That can be bad and expensive.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
I was thinking that, but is that ok for the shocks? It seems like even when the bump stops are at 1/2 that they are still huge. Two of my friends who have both done suspension upgrades on their cars said that their bump stops were 1/4 the size of mine. One of them had a Integra and the other a Maxima. :confused:
Yeah, it is ok to do 3/4 cut. In fact, there was a thread here awhile back where it was recommended with koni shocks to do a 3/4 cut.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
What is the a pipe exactly? So are you saying that I should stiffen up the suspension?
Its the set of pipes (normally 4) that go directly in to the engine. Some folk call them headers, if I'm not mistaken. I had a prelude and I bottom out alot and my (A) pipes developed a small hole in it. Mainly from speed bumps. It would scarpe the pipe.

·
Registered
332 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
I Would it be bad for me to only adjust the fronts stiffer and not the rears?
No, it won't be bad. I could be wrong, but I believe a slightly stiffer front end relative to the rear on a FWD car will reduce the tendancy to understeer and make handling more neutral.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CakeDaddy said:

Its the set of pipes (normally 4) that go directly in to the engine. Some folk call them headers, if I'm not mistaken. I had a prelude and I bottom out alot and my (A) pipes developed a small hole in it. Mainly from speed bumps. It would scarpe the pipe.
Bottoming out and scraping are two different things. I'm just hitting the bump stops. I have not once hit the actual pavement yet.

·
Banned
2,260 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Bottoming out and scraping are two different things. I'm just hitting the bump stops. I have not once hit the actual pavement yet.
ahhhhhh OK. Well this was on a prelude so.... That was just my 2 cents. Hope it all works out. Let us know what you are going to do to fix it ? ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right now I'm having one other small problem and plus I'm in the process of painting panels of my car (couldn't do it this week cause my Autobody teacher was gone). Anyways, I'll probably hold this off till the summer. When the summer comes I'll try two different things, first just cutting the bump stops 3/4. If that works then great. If that doesn't work then I'll stiffen them to 1 turn from full soft.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts