Acura Legend Forum banner

Bought a '93 Legend Ls recently wondering about some maintenance costs

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  mktng 
#1 ·
I bought a '93 Legend recently and it a beauty, garaged its whole life w/135k miles on it. It looks brand new.
It runs good but not great which brings me to my question. I was going through the service records that came with the car and I couldnt find anything about the plugs/wires being changed or the transmission fluid being changed.
The engine is down on power it runs ok but should be getting much more power from it. So this thing could be running on very old plugs. Also the transmission works well but shifts harder than it should so it could be the lack of fluid changes hurting it.

I'm going to take the car in for new spark plugs my question is this: what brand of spark plugs should I get? Should I get new plug wires? Any other parts to go along with the wires/plugs?

Also any ballparks on what I can expect to pay for a plug job if I provide the materials?

Do Acura Legend owners buy the parts online for less or should I get them locally?

Thanks for the advice.

#3 ·
Just so you know, we don't have plug wires on G2 Legends :)

I too use NGK Iridium IX plugs, so far no complaints. I bought mine on ebay for a great deal, I think I saved 4 bucks a plug and got free shipping.

Congrats on your purchase, post up pictures in the Legend Gallery when you get a chance.

#4 ·
That would have been some comedy if I took some spark plug wires in when I wanted my plugs changed. :giggle:

So did you just change the plugs out when you had the car serviced any other parts changed at the same time?

Also I checked on eBay they have 6 Iridum IX plugs for $40 shipped seems like a good deal.

As far as tranny fluid the faq says Honda Tranny fluid. Can you get that at an auto parts store?

#5 ·
Actually I think thats what I paid for my plugs, so yeah it's a good deal!
I just changed my plugs because my records showed they were due for a new set. It's pretty simple to do, I'd save yourself the labor charge.

For the fluid I think you might have to go to a Honda/ Acura dealership to get it. Just make sure you use Honda brand, these cars are very picky about fluids.

#6 ·
Spark plugs are a 30k service so every big 30k service interval should have gotten your car fresh plugs. If you look at the G2 newbie sticky, theres a full break down of service intervals. OEM plugs are 30k, platinum NGK are 60k. Great tool to refer to since most of us don't have the dealership keep track of our service intervals anymore.

#8 · (Edited)
I was looking at the service records and the local Acura dealer here used Quaker State oil and filters when they serviced the car. Pretty cheesy if you ask me not to use Honda filters and oil.

Also I think the people here have talked me into changing my own plugs. I looked through the faqs and did a search but didnt see any detailed threads about changing the plugs. Does anyone know where one is? Someone said something about using anti-sieze because its an aluminum block and I dont want to miss anything if I do attempt to change the plugs.

#9 ·
changing the plugs are extremely easy. out of 1 to 10 with 10 being the hardest i give it about a 3 and should take about 25 min to install. you will need a
rachet and extension
12mm socket
8mm socket
spark plug socket

first make sure that the engine the cool before you start

use the 12mm and take off engine sway bar (6 bolts in total)

there are 3 coil packs on both sides of the engine and each coil pack has 2 bolts use the 8mm to get them out

pull the coil pack up and the spark plug is right there (for ppl with the 94 or 95 you have to move the AC line a bit to get access to the coil packs in the rear)

when installing make sure you put anti sieze on the threads. also do not use the rachet when screwing them in. Use only the extension and do it by hand because you want to avoid ruining the threads. after you screwed them in enough by hand then use the rachet to tighten up DO NOT OVER TORQUE THEM or else you going to need a new head

now all you have to do is put everything back and your done.

very simple.... i hope this helps

oh yea i forgot one more thing thats verrrrrrrrrrry important

:worthless

#10 ·
if you have a torque wrench, you could just set it at the specific torqure. Sorry i dunno the amount of torque. This minimizes the chance of damaging the threading. If you dont have a torque wrench just rent one from autoparts store, you get your money back when you return it.

#11 ·
After changing the plugs, if you still feel low on power do a compression test on the motor. Also check your gas mileage (tank fill-up method) as the low power might be a fuel delivery issue too.

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks that helps. Someone mentioned putting antiseize on the plugs to make them easier to get out when they're replaced should I do that? Can you get that stuff at Walmart? Also should I use something to clean the plug holes or spray it with compressed air?
Also I bought NGK Iridium IX plugs BKR6EIX-11 will they have the proper gap out of the box or will I need a gap tool?
Once I get the old girl cleaned up and waxed i'll post pics.

#13 ·
Good Purchase, My 92 legend now has 204,000 Chicago traffic miles on it and still runs fine, with minimum non standard maintenance problems (caliper changes, speed sensor... all easy DIY... ABS unit fix not worth it). Don't make the mistake of having the transmission filter changed... it was pristine and changing it created more problems as it was not installed right. My power does feel weaker too. Over 8 years I can only get now get 320 miles out of a full gas tank vs 360 8 yrs ago. Do spark plugs really hurt power that much, or is it more a knock and shaking issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.