Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK My brakes have always been sub par IMO and this is compared to other legends too not just other cars. I have never felt the assist that I should have from my brakes. Over the years of owning my car I have replaced many parts of my brakes in attempt to solve this problem. I have concluded it is not the pads, rotors, MC, or brake lines. Bottom line is I have to press way to hard on my pedal to stop. Now my pedal DOES NOT SINK due to a MC leaking it just needs alot of force from me to stop it and the amount it needs varies. I am fairly sure it has to do with not enough vacuum pressure going to the brake booster or the brake booster itself. I have even swapped out my friends old brake booster from his totaled legend and felt no real difference so I am inclined to say there is not enough vacuum from the engine. Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem? the problem becomes alot more apparent in the morning or when my car has been setting for a few hours. I know some will blame this on cold pads but this just is not the case here. HELP PLEASE before I total my car some day

·
One Meeelion HP
2,956 Posts
Did you check the seal between the master cylinder and booster? Its prone to leakage. Turn off the engine and listen for a hissing sound that lasts a few seconds after its shut off.

-Matt

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hate to ask this, but when you changed pads, MC, etc. you bled and changed the brake fluid right? If you didnt, that could have something to do with poor braking and a hard petal.
-Of course I have bleed them over and over
-as for the seal I have checked that also may times, and I have check the valve to goes to the booster and just checked the booster and I seem to pass all tests.

-Maybe its my calipers, not getting enought brake fluid flow or the pistons little corroded causing the need for excess pressure to get the same braking effect. One time I actually blew out a brake line cause I was pressing so hard to try and stop from hiting a car infront of me. After that I installed SS brake lines all around with not increased brakeing.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate to ask this, but when you changed pads, MC, etc. you bled and changed the brake fluid right? If you didnt, that could have something to do with poor braking and a hard petal.
-Of course I have bleed them over and over
-as for the seal I have checked that also may times, and I have check the valve to goes to the booster and just checked the booster and I seem to pass all tests.

-Maybe its my calipers, not getting enought brake fluid flow or the pistons little corroded causing the need for excess pressure to get the same braking effect. One time I actually blew out a brake line cause I was pressing so hard to try and stop from hiting a car infront of me. After that I installed SS brake lines all around with not increased brakeing.

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
I would check pads all around for wear. The reason I say this is because I had a rear caliper wth an extremely corroded piston that 'froze' intermittently and had caused severe pad wear. Then when it magically decided to unfreeze, the piston had to extend so far out to 'catch' the rotor that my pedal started feeling mushy. Did you do a vacuum test on the booster line? Compression test on the engine? The only other thing I can think of right now is a gently stripped bleeder screw (where it feels tight/closed but actually spits out some fluid under pressure), but then you would be losing fluid which you haven't mentioned so I'm assuming you're not.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
-just got new head gaskets so compression should be good, I have yet a do a vaccum test.

-My pedal does not feel mushy or sink to far it is very stiff especially with the SS brake lines, buuut I still have to press HARDER then i should to stop my car. SOO I have come to the conclusion that it has to be something with my calipers front mainly cause they are the main braking force plus I have already replaced one frozen rear one last year. I think that maybe the front calipers 1 or both maybe have some sort of corrosion on the piston causeing the need for excess pressure from me to stop the car. So in frustration from not resolving this problem for as long as I have owed the car 5 years and just living with it I went and ordered new front calipers from autozone today so I guess we shall see.

-Also another thing that makes me think its the calipers is when it rains and I have that layer of rust on my rotors my brake work amazing exactly like they should for about 2 stops so I think the caliper isn't transferring enough pressure from the pads to the rotors.

What do you think?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have not had the good fortune to change my MC, but I have changed others in the past. Not sure of how exactly the Legend MC setup is but I remember in the past having problems with another car when I changed the MC and it was due to the adjuster at the tip of the MC push rod(the stem that responds to the brake pedal and pushes into the MC). It was adjusted to far UP(or in) and braking was off until I set it right. Again I'm not sure if our cars are anything like this, just trying to give some ideas. Good luck

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I have seen this before and When I installed my MC I did look at this and try and make sure it was lined up but maybe ill go back and measure it with a caliper to get a more accurate measurement.

--I still dont think this is my problem though I can see this effecting my pedal travel and stuff but not force from my foot so much.

·
Legend driver
200 Posts
Roger,

DrDave is pointing you in a likely direction. Larger wheels require larger brakes to stop effectively. The reason is that larger wheels turn MORE SLOWLY for a given vehicle speed. How close is your speedometer/odometer to being correct? If it is not (likely too slow) then your wheels may be too big for your car's brakes.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Roger,

DrDave is pointing you in a likely direction. Larger wheels require larger brakes to stop effectively. The reason is that larger wheels turn MORE SLOWLY for a given vehicle speed. How close is your speedometer/odometer to being correct? If it is not (likely too slow) then your wheels may be too big for your car's brakes.
Im on my stock wheels now

·
SGM / Type F
3,699 Posts
This is interesting indeed. I would tend to lean towards corroded front pistons as well at this point. What about ablockage of some sort in the lines (not the short hoses but the long solid lines from the MC/reservoir carrying the fluid to the rubber hoses that inject it into the caliper?

·
Registered
127 Posts
im inclined to think the problem is with your pads or rotors. Mainly because you said brake performance is better when your rotors are rusted.

Another thought is the ABS system. I would hit the brakes a few times on gravel or dirt and let the abs cycle a few times. I have bled the ABS system before, but im not sure how much of a difference i noticed afterwards. But cycling the ABS system has on occasion improved both brake feel and stopping power.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
im inclined to think the problem is with your pads or rotors. Mainly because you said brake performance is better when your rotors are rusted.

Another thought is the ABS system. I would hit the brakes a few times on gravel or dirt and let the abs cycle a few times. I have bled the ABS system before, but im not sure how much of a difference i noticed afterwards. But cycling the ABS system has on occasion improved both brake feel and stopping power.
ABS works have used it recently

--Pads/rotors Just dont think are the problem I have had cross drilled / EBC green stuff pads, regular rotors/ ebc, another set of regular/ duralast. All with same performance issue. Its gotta be the calipers I think. To late no i already bought them I hope thats the problem or I give up.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is interesting indeed. I would tend to lean towards corroded front pistons as well at this point. What about ablockage of some sort in the lines (not the short hoses but the long solid lines from the MC/reservoir carrying the fluid to the rubber hoses that inject it into the caliper?
this is possible but im not sure how I can check although I do not think this is the cause because I bleed all my brakes myself and they seems to bleed fine with no restriction. SO calipers it is!! hopefully

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.