Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done ordering some brake pads and rotors from race concepts (which for those wondering they still gave me the group buy price) and a brake master cylinder from our sponsor (extremely nice guys gave me the hook up price without even me telling them I was from here just cause I drove a legend! Awesome pricing btw) anyways I dont have the time to do this stuff myself I know these are easy jobs but I really just want to take them somewhere and get them done...I want to provide all the stuff though so I know I got good stuff running through my car, I need to buy some brake fluid for when they bleed my lines and was wondering how much I should go pick up from acura...I really dont want them using some other brand as I know you shouldnt mix brands and I would just feel better knowing I got acura fluids in there...I checked my helms but it didnt give any definitive answer...anyone here know how much fluid I should take to them?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I would go along with the idea that you do NOT need Acura or Honda brake fluid. Any high quality brand name, DOT 4 or the synthetic as mentiioned by Bigdad will be fine for your car. However, Acura does NOT recommend DOT5 (Silicone) fluid for our cars.

I use Silicone in a very old car that I have, but mainly because it does not absorb water, and so for a car that's not used much, it's a good deal.

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
bigdad said:
whatever you do, DO NOT USE the Dot 5 as Tinkindling said,,,,it would be a frigging mess and would be a bbbbiiiiigggggg problem to clean out.
Right, Steve. That's it what I wanted to say.

DOT3 Brake Fluid = Normal Driving
DOT4 Brake Fluid Synthetic = Agreesive Driving
DOT5 Brake Fluid Synthetic = Race Driving only

The DOT3/4 are compatible with each other, but DOT5 is NOT compatible with any other fluids so make sure you flush it well if you going DOT5.

But I wouldn't go DOT5, unless the car is going to be used for Road Racing or esp for Drag Racing. -Mike

·
Registered
814 Posts
MikeD said:
Right, Steve. That's it what I wanted to say.

DOT3 Brake Fluid = Normal Driving
DOT4 Brake Fluid Synthetic = Agreesive Driving
DOT5 Brake Fluid Synthetic = Race Driving only

The DOT3/4 are compatible with each other, but DOT5 is NOT compatible with any other fluids so make sure you flush it well if you going DOT5.

But I wouldn't go DOT5, unless the car is going to be used for Road Racing or esp for Drag Racing. -Mike
DOT 5 is very well suited to certain applications. For example, vintage cars, because it does not absorb water, and therefore the brake cylinders do not corrode. I've had silicone (DOT 5) in my old car for about 15 years, and the cylinders still look like new. I know this, because I replaced all the brake hydraulic tubing last winter, and took the opportunity to inspect the system.

·
EDM Honda Legend Coupe
4,471 Posts
Tinkindling said:
DOT 5 is very well suited to certain applications. For example, vintage cars, because it does not absorb water, and therefore the brake cylinders do not corrode. I've had silicone (DOT 5) in my old car for about 15 years, and the cylinders still look like new. I know this, because I replaced all the brake hydraulic tubing last winter, and took the opportunity to inspect the system.
Uups, that means I have confused you? Naah, that's only my opinion about the fluid. I had always problems using DOT5 fluid. On both Legends I had. A friend of mine did it last year. He has used DOT 5 and he's crying till today. At that time I helped him to get out the complete fluid. I told him so often... "Peter, please stay away from this fuid. You getting only probs". And what did he? Yes he tooks the damn fluid. After one week he called me "Mike, please help me. I did it". And I said "You did what?". He then said "Mike, don't beat me. I took DOT 5 to replace the whole fluid". I said "Aarrggh man I told you so often not to take this fluid". That happend during weekend. So I decided to drive to help him. Man, the whole works had costs us many hrs to take out the fluid. He had no garage so we did it out there during snow. I will never forget that. Really, that was a freaking and damn work. As far to DOT5.
Yes, I believe you what you told me. Sometimes really strange about so many different experiences, eh? But it's ok. ;) -Mike

·
Banned
618 Posts
I don't know much about cars, but i do know to follow the manufacturer's suggestion. I would suggest using the dot 4 like they have recommended. They did have to have done researching in order for them to suggest the best fluid for the legends. Other Products are "upgrades" but IMO it seems to only cost more and supposedly "benefits" the vehicle but it seems the same. I dunno! :bowdown: dont hurt me. :bowdown:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.