Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi this is my first post here so bear with me if it doesn't look right.
I may have to edit later.
I just bought a 92 sedan to fix up. Had annoying BRAKE LAMP light on. Had wrong bulb in it. Swapped bulb. Still on. Removed Brake light sensor.

Opened it up by carefully pulling apart the ears on long sides while lifting circuit board.

Separated the circuit board, this is what is inside.

I looked around and found a broke wire that looked corroded or maybe even burnt.

So I de-soldered the lower portion of the broken wire.

removed it and raised the upper piece carefully.

I then went to Radio Shack, and got some tinned wrapping wire. You can use solid copper wire if you wish. But pre tinned is better I think. I cleaned the end of the upper wire that was broken with some sandpaper so I had a shiny surface. Then soldered an extra long piece of the wire to the lower pin were the old one was. then wrapped the upper piece a couple of times with the wire I just soldered.

I snipped the end off neatly. Use a cuticle trimmer, it cuts very close. Then soldered it with a small amount of solder. Don't overheat and melt the plastic. Try to keep the pieces you are soldering from touching on plastic.

After the new piece is soldered I carefully pushed the raised piece down to clear the top so the cover will not interfere. if it is level with the highest point on your circuit board you should be ok. Check it looking at it's profile.

Then snap the cover back on, reinstall on car, and voila fixed! You may want to check both sides for possible problems in both sensors.

Hope this post helps somebody. It fixed mine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I haven't been here very long but that may be the most informative first post ever. The newbies I have noticed were like me, wanting something.

Thanks and welcome, very :2cool:!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Actually, I think those little suckers are a set of pretty little relay coils. The black boxes that surround them have reed type contacts inside which open and close depending on the circuit to the coil/s being energized or not. PS thanks for the compliment DMB.

Just FYI

Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brake Lamp Indicator (how to fix sensor)

Hi guys. Awhile ago I fixed my brake lamp problem. I posted a DIY. But not many people must have read it, and a lot of people still have problems. So I'm attaching a link to it here.

http://acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=42455&highlight=fix+brake+lamp

Hope it helps.
P.S. can sombody put it in the DIY section?

Thanks
Joe...

[Edit] Joe, I merged your Main Thread about the Sensor DIY into that one here. Thus the above link is not longer valid. Hope that helps ! -Mike

·
2,873 Posts
I have a problem whereby if I diconnect the harness going into my center light and attach it to my OEM spoiler harness. THe brake light indicator trips out in my dash, yet I wonder why does this happen????

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
It is because the current draw by the spoiler is much lower than that of the high mount brake lamp and thus causes the warning light to illuminate because it thinks the bulb is blown or something. I believe that there is/was supposed to be a module that goes inline that "fools" the sensors and keeps the warning light off. I think that it's some kind of resistor or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.