Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brake lamp light is on but i have no bulbs burned out , the only questionable symptom i have is with the spoiler ,its an aftermarket spoiler that was on the car when i bought i dont know the brand but there is a section in the spoiler lights that were flickering. On closer observation the spoiler ligth is constructed of a row of LEDS and like 5 of them start to flicker after like 5 seconds of haveing the brake held. my question in would this cause the brake lamp light to come on , and how do u replace lights in a setup like this???? are all spoilers lights constructed with LEDS ?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Yes, the LEDs in the spoiler would definitely cause the brake lamp warning light to come on if the LEDs are not working. I'm pretty sure all spoiler lights are LEDs. You'll have to replace the whole bar of LEDs unless you want to open it up and solder in some new ones.

I guess since you don't know what brand your spoiler is, it's going to be really hard finding replacement LEDs.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I remember from the old baord, that with aftermarket spoilers, you need an additional relay installed to stop the brake light from staying on.

I believe ChrisK answered this one many many moons ago. You may want to PM him or someone here may have saved his post.

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Spiff said:
I remember from the old baord, that with aftermarket spoilers, you need an additional relay installed to stop the brake light from staying on.

I believe ChrisK answered this one many many moons ago. You may want to PM him or someone here may have saved his post.
The brake warning relay (It's actually a sensor) is relaced with a new one when an OEM spoiler is installed. This is because the LED spoiler lights draw less current than the incadecent lights, so it needs a to monitor a different current value.

Since aftermarket spoilers do not include this sensor, you have two choices. Keep the 3rd brake deck mounted light connected and simply tuck it away somewhere under the trunk so it isn't visable, or open up your dash and remove the brake warning light.

If the problem only recently started, than it is probabaly due to the spoiler LEDs failing. If the problems has always been there, than it is due to the above that I mentioned.

·
OLD SKOOL P*MP
235 Posts
maybe ...

you probably did ... but if you didn't ... check your third brake lamp ... happened to my coupe recently ... almost missed it completely ...

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
An aftermarket spoiler w/LEDs should have its cable connected to the high-mount brake lamp pigtail. Your problem could also be due to a failing taillamp sensor (there is a LT and RT one) located within the taillamp housings.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
LPB said:
An aftermarket spoiler w/LEDs should have its cable connected to the high-mount brake lamp pigtail. Your problem could also be due to a failing taillamp sensor (there is a LT and RT one) located within the taillamp housings.
One of my sensors failed, can I get just a replacement sensor?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
The HELM diagnostic page indicates that the Brake Light Failure Sensor can be replaced. I assume you have performed the sensor diagnostic. (See page 23-167 of the 92 CPE Helm Service Manual).

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Roger: You need to check the circuit of the Brake Lamp Failure Sensor. You may have broken a wire or not fully connected a wire or ground. You need the page from the HELM.

White Legend: My best suggestion is to never "throw parts" at a problem.

A failed or inoperative failure sensor will trigger the BRAKE warning indicator in the Info Center.

·
Metro Legends Baby!!!
639 Posts
Hey guys,
I just put R32 tails on my car and got the same problem, all my lights in the back work. This includes the spoiler light and back up lights. It comes on when I press the brakes. The light is annoying me since I know there is nothing wrong with the lights. Please help. Where is this sensor that you guys are talking about?
Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.