·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed a few weeks after I bought my Legend that my spoilers brake light
wont work. I inspected and noticed that there was a black wire loose in
the trunk. As Im a total noob when it comes to car electricity, I was
wondering if someone would help me a bit. Any idea what the black wire is
for? I know black is usually ground but I tried that and the light didn't work.
So can it be something else? It goes straight to the brake light in the spoiler.

Another question is about ABS brakes. I searched the forum and found some
topics about similar problems but nothing quite like it. My ABS light turns on
when I start the car (as it should) and then goes off, but when I start to drive
this weird humming sound starts and lasts about a minute and then the ABS
light pops back on. I tried resetting the ABS unit by removing the fuse for a few
seconds but it didn't help. Possibly a broken sensor?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I would imagine that black wire is indeed the ground... the bulb(s) may have burned out? I've never seen the stock spoiler in detail before =[

The ABS issue is most likely a failing ABS pump. Have you checked the fluid level in the ABS reservoir though?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I don't know the cost to replace one, honestly... I do know that a more common solution seems to be removal of the fuse for the ABS pump. Remove the fuse and see if the problem abstains.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Next time the ABS light comes on, check the trouble code that is set on the ABS contoller. Typically, the ABS controller (box) in the trunk behind the rear seat.

Don't turn the ignition off and then back on as the ABS sets "soft" codes.....the code will disappear once the controller loses power.

See the online manual (if its still linked) for the procedure and trouble code table.

Just from the symptoms you describe, it's probably a fluid pressure problem. The pump runs and tries to pressurize the system. After a pre-determined amount of time, if the controller doesn't get a signal from the pressure switch it shuts down the ALB system and will set a code and turn on the dash light.

You can check for any external leaks. Remove the battery, air filter box and battery tray. Check the hoses, fittings and connections for wetness. If you find none, there may be an internal leak in the ABS modulator (the thing that the ABS reservoir is attached to).

You might want to have the ABS system bled. This really isn't a DIY job unless you really know how the ABS system works. Fluid under high pressure can be dangerous.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks for the help. I'll try to check the code tomorrow and see if theres
any visible leaks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
If a brake job was done, and they let some fluid fall out, and had to bleed the brakes, it requires a special tool to properly bleed the pump/modulator unit. A lot of pumps fail early because it was never done, and the pump runs dry every time you start the car. It stops because the ABS control unit is not detecting any line pressure, and throws a code.

I've replaced a lot of ABS pumps, and they are expensive. Most people just have us pull the fuse or disconnect the control module, and they live without ABS. Ya know, there was a day when there was no ABS, and people just had to be more careful. But this is not the way of the Legend owner, right?

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Lol I guess I'm in luck cause I don't have a ABS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I could live without ABS, but as you said it's not the way of the
Legend owner. :)

And the winters can be very bad here so it would be a bit safer.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,302 Posts
Hopefully you get the ABS working soon. I don't want to see your Legend get trashed on the snow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts