Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to replace the brake pads myself and save $120 (2 hours of labor). I have all the diagrams and instructions and stuff. However, I cannot remove the screws to the brake caliper encasing. I used WD-40, and I am going to try letting it sit overnight. I have also used a couple of different sized wrenches in an attempt to take the screws off (the wrenches keep slipping). Does anyone have any suggestions for getting those damn screws off (one that doesn't take a lot of $$$$)? Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What you're talking about are the 2 bolts that hold the caliper on. I'm not sure exactly what size they are (probably about 8-10 mm) but what you need to take them off is a ratchet wrench and sockets of the right size (you put the sockets on the ratchet). Turn the two bolts counter clockwise to loosen them and clockwise to tighten them. Don't bother torquing these bolts to spec when you put them back on or you risk breaking them. Just make sure they're tight.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Umm... are you turning them the correct way? Maybe you tried turning them the wrong way and over tightened them. Also, if you are using american instead of metric you won't be able to get a good grip. I believe they are two 10 mm bolts. gluck.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have used a ratchet, and it keeps slipping. The 10mm is too small, and I have been trying with a 12 mm. It seems tight, but then when I put a little elbow grease into it, it slips.

What is a breaker bar?

And, since the nuts are facing away from me, I would turn in opposite directions (clockwise to loosen, counter-clockwise to tighten), correct?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ok- checklist of obvious but neccesary questions:
Are your bolts stripped?
Is your racket itself slipping?
It should be metric but have you tried american?
Are you all the way on the head of the bolt?

A breaker bar is a huge wrench used for putting on tires, axels... etc. You were right about turning it since they are reversed. You should turn your steering wheel so you can get a better angle though. Gluck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Breaker bar is like a rachet w/o the rachet mechanism. It is longer and heavier. Good for leverage and avoid tearing up a rachet's mechanism. Bought one at Harbor Freight Tools for $7.

Whatever you do, DO NOT round off the bolts. Take the car somewhere before you do that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
im sorry to hear that your clutch ran almost 1k...

i hope they used lube on you before going to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.