Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 legend sedan that after driving for a while the pedal will become really stiff and the brakes will start dragging and adding resistance. It doesn't always happen but most the time it does. One day when I got to work it was so bad that smoke was coming off the front tires. I've recently found that once the pedal gets stiff if I force it all the way down then it goes back to normal and the brakes stop dragging for a bit. It doesn't seem to be leaking fluid anywhere , it's got new fluid, rotors, pads, and I replaced a rear caliper. I did a few tests for the brake booster and think that it's fine. Does this sound like a master cylinder, bad front calipers, or brake hoses? I'm not sure how to test to find out the issue. Any advice greatly appreciated so I don't have to throw parts at it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It sounds like you have air in the system, especially since you have done some brake work recently. Somewhere along the way, while you drive, your lines are heating up & the air is expanding. That makes the pedal hard & pushes on the calipers as well. Since these cars have the ABS system, bleeding them is MUCH more difficult. I worked w/ Master Power Brakes for several years and we ran across this same condition from Customers all the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like you have air in the system, especially since you have done some brake work recently. Somewhere along the way, while you drive, your lines are heating up & the air is expanding. That makes the pedal hard & pushes on the calipers as well. Since these cars have the ABS system, bleeding them is MUCH more difficult. I worked w/ Master Power Brakes for several years and we ran across this same condition from Customers all the time.
Hey thanks alot for the help, I did also try to replace all the brake fluid with new brake fluid using a hand vucuum pump. I'll try to bleed them again and see if I can't fix it and maybe just take it to a shop to have them bled. Forgot to mention I do have an ABS light on and get the motor overrun code, didn't know if that might have something to do with it. But thanks alot for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have experienced similar brake problems on my 92 Legend. Expanding rust on the pad ends and the pad bracket blocked the return movement of the pads resulting in extreme overheating of the disc. Remove rust, allowing the pad to fall back and slip pressure on the disc when pedal is not applied. Another problem was corrosion on the surface of the brake caliper piston, so it did not move freely. I cleaned the caliper cylinder and installed a new piston and new seals. I think this problem could be prevented by changing brake fluid more frequently. My Legend has 340 000 km on the odometer. In another car I experienced blocking of a brake due to internal disintegration of the brake hose material which prevented brake fluid return after applying brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts