Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the only way to tell if the master cylinder is if it is pressing to the ground. My acura dealer told me that I have a leaking master cylinder when I got my oil changed. My pedal feels soft, but it doesn't compress all the way to the floor or lose pressure. I think that I probably just need to bleed my brakes.

Also, when I lift up on the brakes my right front brake makes a creaking noise. Any idea what that could be?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
he may have seen some fluid leaking externally at the booster...the master cylinder can leak internally as well. Generally will cause the pedal to slowly sink from initial position...may not go all the way down. Start car and put brake on and hold with pressure, if it sinks any, it is likely a bad master cylinder....may not do it every time....most people notice it by the car "creeping" on them after they have stopped at a light...pressure being lost internally while they maintain the same pressure on the pedal. This can happen very intermittently and depends on how the seal gets positioned when stopping. In order to get "air" in the system, you would have needed to have a leak in the system somewhere...doesn't just appear. Creak (actually is a vibration) could be any of the contact points at spring clips that position and hold pads. Could be sticky caliper pins....lube the anti vibration backing plates on the pads, the spring clips and pins....you may have the suspension making the noise too, not the brakes. Make sure you use only hi-temp lube and keep it off of the disc and contact surface of the pads. Don't forget to lube the piston too. look to see if your pads are contaminated with fluid, grease or oil too....this can cause some noise occasionally.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that I want to wait on the master brake cylinder until it becomes completely noticeable like it has for some of these other guys on the forums.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I agree with your comments and will add that now would be a good time to locate a refurbished unit because it is not a matter of if. Also - to those out there replacing your MC yourself - do not forget to bench bleed the Master Cylinder (as in the instructions).

KNLNGUS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.