Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my left front tire or both fronts squeel when comming to a stop. this happened almost right after i washed the car last week. The pads and rotors were replaced 12K ago so they are fine.

Anyone know the cause of this brake squeel?
What can i do to get rid of sound?
Is this dangerous?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Brake squeel is caused by the brake pad moving back and forth in the caliper when the brakes are pressed. Many shops, including the one I used to work at, spray some stuff called Disc Brake Quiet on the pads before placing them in the caliper. This stuff makes the pad real sticky so it sticks to the caliper and doesn't move around when you are braking. There are also some shims that come with OEM brakepads and some aftermarket ones that will usually hold that pads in place when stopping. I'm guessing that you had this Disc Brake Quiet on your pads and when you when through the carwash, the pressure washer that sprays the wheels sprayed your pads and they came loose from the caliper. You may already have shims in them, but some of them don't hold the pads in place very good.

To fix this without buying new pads for the shims, you can just pull your pads off of the calipers and spray some disc brake quiet on the back of them. It's sticky stuff so if you get any of it on your hands, it's a pain to wash off.
Oh yeah, you can buy this stuff at any auto parts store.

It isn't dangerous at all to have pads that squeel, just annoying.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I got this problem too when I replaced my front brake pads myself. I think I might have to get some of that stuff.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm. yea our brakes were replaced not too long ago. i think it actually was from washing the car..but the thing is i wash the car myself.. so i guess i got a good deal of water in the brakes when i was washing them.. hehe guess im a good car washer to knock off all that sticky stuff!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey, just got done putting that stuff on... 5 bucks at discount auto parts. I'm waiting for it to dry, I hope it helps.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
90G1Legend, its just squeeking when moderately braking. no grinding.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It did help, but I only did my front brakes. The back brakes still make a slight bit of noise. A big time waste but worth it if you can't stand the noise.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm good job! i think i will just live with the squeeling. i dont know how to take out the tires and brake pads so yea..

·
Registered
602 Posts
They are easy to do, Jack up the car(make sure it is stuck in place with parking brake or blocks), take of the wheel, use a 10 mm on the lower caliper screw, tilt it upwards, slip out pads, spray, reapply. If the pads dont quite fit, use a C-clamp to push the brake cylinder in a bit. Fairly easy. Took me about 15 min to dissassemble. Reassembly is faster but you have to wait for the stuff to dry for a lil bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.